12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Converting video files to avi

Alison Utting

Hi, I have two problems I would appreciate some advice on so I can edit the files in Pre7 and burn a DVD.  I typically use my Panasonic video camera with DV tapes to record video (not HD) and then I use the avi files in Pre7 to put together DVD's, but I want to put together a DVD for a recent holiday using my DV tape files, files extracted from a DVD and .mov files taken on my still camera and would like to sort out the best way of doing this before I get too far into it.

1.  My children did an animal encounter at a zoo which was filmed by zoo staff and put onto a DVD for me.  It has two VOB files on it (1GB and 600MB) which I would like to extract to use.  I followed Chuck Engel's tutorial on Muvipix.com about using the Media Downloader in Pre7 to extract the files and save them on my computer.  I then added them to my project and the video part of the files seems to have converted ok but I have no audio.  Any suggestions on what went wrong and what I can do to extract both the video and audio parts to the file.  When I do get the video and audio parts to the VOB, do I then need to export it to an avi file to use in my project and if so, what is the best way of doing this?

2.  On the same holiday, I used my new Canon Powershot SX20IS digital still camera to shoot some video clips when I didn't have my video camera with me. The Canon was set to record in high definition (1280x720 pixels, 30 frames/second).  I copied the .mov files from the SD card to my computer using Windows Explorer and then included them in a Pre7 project.  I have just read some of the manual while confirming that it was recorded in HD, and Canon say that copying directly from the card to the computer will cause movies to not play correctly and their software shold be used to download the .mov files.  I had noticed when playing the .mov files once they were in a project that they were a bit jerkier than what I would have expected.  So I will retransfer the movies using the Canon software to see if it does make a difference, but I wanted to know whether I should then use the .mov files in my project as they are or do they need to be converted to avi files.  If so, can I just export the .mov files to avi files using Pre7 or is there a better way?

What is the best way to handle a mixture of HD and non-HD clips when I am burning the finished project.  I don't have a full HD TV so I'm not getting the benefit of HD movie at this stage anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

• 1. Re: Converting video files to avi
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In both cases, I would recommend that you convert the video files to DV-AVIs before bringing them into Premiere Elements.

The VOB files can be converted to DV-AVIs using MPEG Streamclip.

The MOV files can be converted to DV-AVIs using Super or Quicktime Pro.

Both MPEG Streamclip and Super are free and instructions for getting and using them can be found in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

More detailed instructions can be found in my free article "Converting Video for Premiere Elements" at Muvipix.com.

Once the files have been converted, you should have no problems using them as well as your miniDV footage from your camcorder in a Premiere Elements project set up with the standard DV project preset.

My books, available on Amazon.com and from the Muvipix.com store, offer more details on the hows and whys of converting.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Converting video files to avi
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you possibly have the SD miniDV tapes from the earlier Projects? Doing a re-Capture would give you better quality, than using the already compressed MPEG-2 files from the DVD. If there is any motion, either camera, or subject, you will have much better results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Converting video files to avi
              Alison Utting Level 1

Steve and Bill, thanks for the help and suggestions.  I'll follow up on the suggestions for software for converting the files and see how I get on.

Bill, I don't have the original files as the DVD was part of the encounter package offered by the zoo so they took the video and put together the DVD.  It would have been nice to have the originals but I'll just have to make do with what I can convert from the VOB files.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Converting video files to avi
                Alison Utting Level 1

I've struck a problem with MPEG Streamclip.  I downloaded it, installed it and ran it but when I went File Open to go to the DVD I want to convert, I got a message saying to remove Quicktime and install Quicktime Alternative 1.81, making sure that Extra QT Plugins was enabled.  I did this and now when I run MPEG Streamclip and go File Open and select the VOB files on my DVD, it keeps crashing.  I have rebooted my PC and still have the same problem.  Any suggestions on fixing this problem or else what other software do you recommend for extracting VOB files.  This is turning into a long saga and I'd like to get this sorted before I try out Super for my .mov files.

• 5. Re: Converting video files to avi
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not familiar with MPEGStreamclip, so cannot help there. For VOB's, I use a hardware capture method, with my VHS/DVD deck, hooked up to an A-D bridge. Though the DVD is already in digital form, I do this basically as I would with a VHS tape. Though the footage has been compressed to MPEG to get it onto a DVD, the quality is still usable in most instances. One can also hook up a DVD player to a video camcorder with pass-through capabilities. Not sure if your mini DV tape camera has this capability though.

This ARTICLE will offer you some background on VOB's, and it also has some links to other methods of ripping the DVD's VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Converting video files to avi
                    Alison Utting Level 1

Bill, thanks for another option to try.  I have captured many of my old VHS tapes through my camcorder and have a VHS/DVD deck near my PC for this so it may be the quickest option to go with.  I'll wait and see if I get any other suggestions about my MPEGStreamclip problem.  Their website doesn't seem to have a help section.

• 7. Re: Converting video files to avi

This is apparently the component you need to do the conversion with MPEG Streamclip -- and apparently it costs $19.99.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

Sorry about that.

But it's well worth it, if you've got more than a few DVDs to convert.

Hunt may know of a free alternative. But I know MPEG Streamclip works for sure. So it's your call I guess.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Converting video files to avi
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I use a shareware product, now a few generations old, so I have to admit that I have not explored a lot of alternatives. I have to rely on the folk here, and on Muvipix.com for help in that regard. Especially since my program works fine, and I have a license for each computer, I am less tempted, than many.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Converting video files to avi
                          Alison Utting Level 1

Steve and Bill, I did a search on Google to look for other free software to convert the VOB files off the DVD and it came up with Super as one result so I gave it a try since I had already installed it to convert the .mov files.  I just followed the instructions in Steve's Muvipix guide for using Super and left all the defaults where they were.  It seems to have done an ok job with the video looking a bit grainy but I was probably going to get that with anything software I tried.  At least I have a soundtrack this time as well as the video!  It's also nice to have one program that can do both the conversions that I want to do.  Just need to find some time to try converting those .mov files now.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and maybe I have found another use for Super you hadn't tried before.

• 10. Re: Converting video files to avi
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am glad that Super worked for you. I have not tried it yet, but many do swear by it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Converting video files to avi

Glad we could help at least a bit, Alison!