Many thanks for your prompt response, Peter. One of our clever IT chaps managed to rebuild the apj file, so we resurrected the project without losing anything.
All the best, Carol
My rhkkeyword file has corrupted itself again. I've been backing-up the file periodically, so have reopened the project using one of the backups
Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing the file to become corrupt? I don't know that anything is amiss until I build my webhelp project, so it's difficult to determine the cause. When I make changes to the index, I try to edit the keywords within the html (rather than in the index pod), because I've found this to be the safest way of ensuring the changes are saved. We have quite a large index (approximately 9000 kewords). I'd appreciate any insights anyone might have
Also, we are thinking of moving to Robo8 and have heard that the index functionality is better - does anyone know if it is more stable? I suspect it might be the size of our project that is causing the problems (approximately 5000 topics).
Thanks in advance for any help,
In RoboHelp 10, the file still gets corrupted. The data is cut of halfway.
When this happens, I do the following:
1) Close the project
2) Delete the file
3) Reopen the project
RoboHelp automatically recreates the file as soon as a new index keyword is added or one is changed.So far, I did not loose any data with this method (as far I could discover).
Note that the above works with project where the keywords are stored in the topic files.
Of course it would be better that this does not happen. I already reported this as a bug. Please do the same via
As long as you keep the .CPD file, RoboHelp may be able to recontstruct .apj files. A word of warning: removing the CPD and .apj files will corrupt your project.