5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 11:24 PM by Harbs.

Panels in Bridge

Harbs. Level 6

I created a CS SDK panel which looks great in the regular CS programs. When I open it in Bridge, it opens in a palette which is larger than it should be and is not resize-able. Is there a way to create a panel extension for Bridge? (or at the very least a palette which is realizable?

Harbs

• 1. Re: Panels in Bridge
          Harbs. Level 6

The flyout menu does not get installed in Bridge either.

Another issue: For some reason Extension Manager is not installing the extension in Bridge. It work when I select "Run as Bridge Extension", but the extension is not listed as a Bridge one when I install using the Extension Manager. I don't know if I meesed up my system or what...

Unless I'm doing something very wrong, it looks like Bridge is very much a second class citizen...

Harbs

• 2. Re: Panels in Bridge
            Bob Stucky Adobe Employee

Harbs,

Bridge does not support the CSXS infrastructure, so yes, it doesn't have those capabilities (of which a flyout meni is one).

If you look at the User's Bridge CS5 folder (Mac: [user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CS5), look in Startup Scripts to see a "Bridge Flash Extensions" folder. In there, you'll see how Bridge extensions are invoked. It's similar to how it was done for PatchPanel.

Yes, there's work to be done. I gave that presentation on it at the summit to point out a couple of the limitations, and hopefully ensure that expectations were set properly. You can still get a lot done with Bridge, but the lack of the CSXS infrastructure can be a limiting in some ways.

Bob

• 3. Re: Panels in Bridge
              Harbs. Level 6

I'm really sorry I missed your Bridge presentation at the summit. (To many of those meetings there...)

I'll take a look at that (and probably take a look at the recording of your presentation). I never seem to get around to watching recordings...

It's kind of odd that Bridge is the odd man out. So much looks like it's implemented in Flash there... How do I go about making the palette resizable? Is it possiible?

Harbs

• 4. Re: Panels in Bridge
                Bob Stucky Adobe Employee

Frankly, I haven't tried.

It's a ScriptUI window - so I would think that a bit of ES code might handle it.

You could use your own startup script to launch it. That way you set up the panel yourself. I think I have an old example of how to do a ersatz flyout menu in a ScriptUI window posted on creativescripting.net somewhere. If I'm correct, it's the same sample that shows how to embed a jpg image in an ES file.

Bob

• 5. Re: Panels in Bridge
                  Harbs. Level 6

Hi Bob,

I watched your presentation. Very informative!

(for all the lurkers, here's a link: http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/p33908050/ )

I'll have to have a play at the Script UI to see if I can make it look any better...

Does Extension Manager install the extension correctly? Does each Extension get its own launch script, or is there one boiler-plate one for all of them? Can we customize our own? In PatchPanel I used to write the launcher script an customize the Script UI window based on my needs...

Harbs