2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 7:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 won't save when I change the presets

helengray80

I'm trying to convert a recorded presentation from .wmv to .flv for a work website. If I render the video first, and then go to share I can output a .flv file.Although it does take 9 hours for a 1 hour recording.  But for some reason its set to a tiny 320x320 screen size. As soon as I try to change this setting so that it isn't resized the whole thing stops. I don't get a crash message, and windows doesn't say it's not running. It just stops and the CPU sinks from 98% back to 100%.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't save when I change the presets
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The smartest thing to do would be to convert that WMV file to a DV-AVI before you bring it into Premiere Elements. That way you can ensure its frame szie and codecs are correct.

Windows MovieMaker will do that conversion, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

This should also reduce your transcoding time from 9 hours to more like 1 or 2 hours.

Also, do ensure that your Premiere Elements project is using the standard DV project preset.

My books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store, offer much more detail on the whys and hows of using AVIs as your source files whenever possible.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't save when I change the presets
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, WMV is a tough format/CODEC to deal with. It requires a lot of processing to use. It's far easier on the computer and the program, to do the conversion, prior to Import. For an SD (Standard Definition) Project, the recommended DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio is as good as it gets. Editing will be much easier, and Export/Transcoding will go far more quickly. Note: DV-AVI Type II files will be about 13GB/hour of Duration.

There are many conversion programs available, and many are freeware. One that gets a lot of recs. here is Prism. I have never used it, as I have DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, but it's shareware. One feature that I like about it is the batch conversion, even from mixed source files. I load it, check my settings, and hit Convert. After a cup of coffee, all of my files are ready to be Imported and edited.

Good luck,

Hunt