6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 9:11 AM by minfinger

Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...

pgillett

Hello:

I am a network and Desktop Support person for a higher education facility.  I was asked to take over automating software application

installs.

I have a script process, created by Auto-It (Scite script editor), that has been working well for Adobe Reader 9.1 with updates to 9.1.1, 9.1.2 and 9.1.3 (found on the Internet) -

msiexec /i \\<server>\<path>\AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS=\\<server>\<path>\AcroRead_10132009.mst /passive /norestart /update \\<server>\<path>\AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr.msp;\\<server>\<path>\AdbeRdrUpd912_all_incr.msp; \\<server>\<path>\AdbeRdrUpd913_all_incr.msp

My questions:

Is there a similar process for installing Adobe Reader 9.3 silently and then updating to 9.3.2?

If so, what are the steps, ex. expand/extract the initial 9.3 .EXE, then create a transform using Orca/<transform making of choice>, etc.?

With having read of some issues in this forum regarding Adobe Reader 9.3.2, should I continue using 9.1.3 and wait?

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
          pwillener Level 8

I cannot answer your question directly, but you may find the information you're looking for in one of the documents on http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/enterprise_deployment.html

See also http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html and related documents.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
            nlfdss

If you weren't able to find the answer you were looking for in the documentation, let me know, I can help you out. I specialize in software deployment.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
              pgillett Level 1

Thank you, very much!

I have subscribed to Adobe for the files, and installed the Deployment application, have edited the package, but the process would bomb.

I was following another person's example on the Internet (I'll supply the link later when I'm back at work the next day), saved the package (it saved as an MST) then try installing with the switches, and the process gave me an error regarding something wasn't found (a reference to an AUM reference in the package that I followed to remove).

It's just taking some time and patience to figure this out and with your assistance, I'm sure it'll come together.

Thanks, again.

Phil G.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
                nlfdss Level 1

Well we have a wiki where I work, and here is then entry I have created on how to deploy Adobe Reader. See if any of this helps, if not, we'll take it from there.

Deployment

It is HIGHLY recommended that you read and follow the directions of the deployment guide provided by Adobe located at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/deploying_reader9.pdf. The documentation located here is simply for a quick reference for those who have already read the guide.

The rights to distribute Adobe Reader must be obtained by filling out the form found at http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/rdr_distribution1.html. After filling out the form and being accepted to distribute Adobe Reader, you will receive an email with a link to download the redistributable version of Adobe Reader. You will be prompted to download a .exe package containing the Reader MSI file. The general form of the command to convert a Nosso-compressed file to an MSI package is:

<path to>\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe [<switches>...]
                SwitchDescription
                -nos_neDo not execute any file after installation (overrides the -e switch) This switch should be used if user only wants to extract the installer contents and not run the installer.
                -nos_oSpecifies the name of folder where the contents of the expanded package are to be placed. The folder name should be enclosed in quotation marks. It is best if you do not use an existing folder, and there should be no space following the “-nos_o”.
                For example:<path to>\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe -nos_o”TestFolder” -nos_ne

Using the extracted MSI, create an Administrative Installation Point (AIP) using the command-line:

msiexec /a <path to>\AcroPro.msi transforms=<path to>\AcroPro.mst
                The AcroPro.mst transform file is created by the Adobe Customization Wizard 9

You can apply any patches that may have been released since the major version release. Use the command-line:

msiexec /a <path to>\AcroPro.msi /p <path to>\AdbeRdrUpd931.msp;<path to>\AdbeRdrUpd932.msp

Once all this is complete, you can fully deploy the software by running the command-line:

<path to>\AcroRead.msi transforms=<path to>\AcroRead.mst /qb

More information can also be found in the Enterprise Administration Guide

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
                  minfinger

nlfdss,

So I'm trying to do what you posted with the new 4.0 release.

I do this with no problems:

C:\Temp\Acrobat\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe -nos_o”Test” -nos_ne

Then I run this:

msiexec /a C:\Temp\Acrobat\Test\AcroRead.msi transforms=C:\Temp\Acrobat\Test\AcroRead.mst

And I get this:

AdobeMsg.jpg

If I do this:

msiexec /a C:\Temp\Acrobat\Test\AcroRead.msi /t C:\Temp\Acrobat\Test\AcroRead.mst

I get asked this:

AdobeMsg2.jpg

So I tell it the UNC Path to the DFS Share where I have the AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe file.  It then extracts a bunch of files and folders.

AdobeMsg3.jpg

Basically at that point I can't get any further, because when I try to run

<path to>\AcroRead.msi transforms=<path to>\AcroRead.mst /qb it fails saying it can't find the  AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi file.

I'm lost...Any help pelase...

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 silent install package questions, please ...
                    minfinger Level 1

Ok it was a lot easier than I thought. I think

Since I'm installing Acrobat 9.4, I just extracted it and now I run this via VBscript that checks for the 9.4 Registry entry

<path to>\setup.exe /sSB

It uninstalls older Adobe Acrobats and install the new one Wooo

My users still get prompted for the Run or Cancel box...Any thoughts on stopping that?