20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 6:41 PM by the_wine_snob

edge feather garbage matte

eckelsteve1 Level 1

Trying to edge feather a garbage matte.  If I add the Edge Feather video effect, it feathers the entire image, not the matte inside the image.  Should I just do this in AE?

• 1. Re: edge feather garbage matte
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That will not work. To get a Feathered Matte, look to Track Matte Keying instead. That should give you what you want. You can create your Matte in Titler, or in PS, and then can add Effect>Blur to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: edge feather garbage matte
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PLEASE file a FEATURE REQUEST.

We all want this so much.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 3. Re: edge feather garbage matte
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that and fully adjustable Bezier Handles on the Garbage Mattes!

Hunt

• 4. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes and variable nodes not just 4, 8 or 16.

• 5. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                  shooternz Level 6

plus INVERT

• 6. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                    eckelsteve1 Level 1

Thanks Bill & everyone.  Yes the Track Matte works, but I think is unwieldy when doing travelling mattes.

I am guessing I am not the only one that uses garbage mattes beyond their original purpose, which I believe is just to mask out C-stands & mics out of green screen shots.

For me, garbage mattes (with feathering) are a wonderful way to float in images in a montage sequence, create simple color-correcting windows (darken the sky & nothing else) or quickly comp non-green screen images.

• 7. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                      shooternz Level 6

I concur for exactly the same reasons you outlined.

I have been banging on about this lack of functionality for a long time.

I have made a number of feature requests for it.

No luck.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                        eckelsteve1 Level 1

I guess I have to break down and get good at AE, since all roads seem to lead there...

• 9. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                          shooternz Level 6

Matting (masking)  in AE is easy and functional.

Only problem is which workflow do you manage it with.  I am an intermediate fan and dont go near dynamic link.

Whatever..it adds a bit of time to a process that should be simple and fast in PPRO.

• 10. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with you. As should be obvious, you are "preaching a bit to the choir," here, as most feel as you do.

AE is a great program, but PrPro is not that far from this improvement, at least not from where I sit. (Maybe it's a major programing headache?). Though I am a fan of Track Matte Keying (use it a ton), I do agree that things could be easier with just a few additions, many of which have already surfaced here.

Good luck to us all.

Hunt

PS - one of the things that I like about doing the Matte in PS is that one can do a preliminary Blur, and then tweak that in PrPro with Effect>Blur. OTOH, doing it all in Titler does keep the user in just one program.

• 11. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                              eckelsteve1 Level 1

"Only problem is which workflow do you manage it with.  I am an  intermediate fan and dont go near dynamic link."

I am a newbie to PP (CS4-5 anyway), but so far dynamic link seems to work.  What's the downside? I am guessing this has been hashed over already.

• 12. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are some workflows that do not seem to utilize ADL per design. The same holds for PrPro to Encore. When things conspire against one, there is always the "old-fashioned" way - Export/Import. Not sure if CS5 has addressed some of the issues experienced in CS4, but time will tell. Now, many users never have ANY issues with ADL, but some do. Assets? Projects? OE? Just seems that there are occasions, where things do not gel properly. Still, it was introduced in CS2 Production Studio, and seems to have improved with each version, so maybe CS5 will be more stout.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'd be better with AE, if I would just force myself to use it, rather than fall back on PrPro workarounds. I always make some excuse like "I'm in a hurry," "the client is looking on," etc., and just stay in my comfort zone. Need to "get out more!"

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I tend to think that one should do compositing tasks like this in the compositing application (After Effects).

Regarding the workflows between After Effects and Premiere Pro:

Since Dynamic Link requires a version of After Effects to run in the background to serve Premiere Pro, it can be quite demanding on lesser systems. Also, if there are a lot of dynamically linked items in a sequence, things can bog down, since you're waiting for the dynamically linked After Effects to do a lot in the background. It still makes sense to render out an intermediate file sometimes.

• 14. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                    eckelsteve1 Level 1

I have exactly the same problem.  The other reason I don't get into AE is that I shy away from being a one-man band.  I actually like having other talented people contribute their expertise, leaving me to do what I do best, which is edit.  Having said that, I still end up color-correcting and mixing and making cool titles etc., so maybe I am kidding myself.

• 15. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      I am a newbie to PP (CS4-5 anyway), but so far dynamic link seems to work.  What's the downside? I am guessing this has been hashed over already.

Down side to me is that I often use same assets in multiple projects and also I find it a lot more difficult to manage the assets when they are linked.

I find it cleaner and more efficient to have a standalone (independent) asset / clip in my PPRO project bin. ( these can be clips, clips with alpha, mattes, fx clips, graphics, titles...).  I always file them in a AEFX named bin in the project and on the HDD.

• 16. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                        eckelsteve1 Level 1

I understand that workflow. It's a lot like the old film workflow where we made opticals, which then became new pieces of original negative.  It does keep things neat.

• 17. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

Good points about the resources.

Now, I do not want to sound like "Grasshopper" taking "Master" to task, but PrPro is already close with the 16-pt. Garbage Matte. For a naive waif, such as myself, it would seem to be a simple jump to tweak that for just some more power.

I am with you on using the program for the task. Though PrPro can do some image processing, I would never think of allowing it to do so, and use PS liberally. Same for AE (just gotta' spend more time there). Right tool for the job, like AI for Vector, though PS can do some of that. Still, PrPro is close.

I'm not looking for one program to do everything. That is what a suite is for, and Adobe does this better than anyone that I know. However, let's look at Titler in PrPro. For ultimate control, one would use AI and then PS and create the Titles as PSD's. Still, Titler does some nice things, and it is handy to not have to leave PrPro to do 'em. That was one reason that I mentioned Titler for the Track Mattes - simplifies the workflow.

Hunt

PS - are you in a position to comment on the strengthening of ADL between PrPro and AE and also En? Seems to be few negative comments around these parts, where CS4 had dozens, and more still coming in.

• 18. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                            > PrPro is already close with the 16-pt. Garbage Matte. For a naive waif, such as myself, it would seem to be a simple jump to tweak that for just some more power. I am with you on using the program for the task. Though PrPro can do some image processing, I would never think of allowing it to do so, and use PS liberally. Same for AE (just gotta' spend more time there). Right tool for the job, like AI for Vector, though PS can do some of that. Still, PrPro is close.

Here's a hint when you make your feature request: Explain what impedes you from jumping to After Effects to do the compositing task so that the folks evaluating the feature request are a little less likely to say "But he can do that in After Effects" and therefore discount the feature request.

>  are you in a position to comment on the strengthening of ADL between PrPro and AE and also En?

There were a lot of bug fixes. Also, moving to 64-bit and a shared memory pool allowed for more stable and effective memory management between these applications.

Another big improvement is that Dynamic Link is no longer a "one-way street". In CS4, if you had a dynamic link from Premiere Pro to After Effects, you couldn't have a dynamic link from After Effects to Premiere Pro in the same session. I called this a bug. This bug is fixed in CS5, though some might say that it's a whole new feature.

• 19. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                              eckelsteve1 Level 1

Thanks Todd.

• 20. Re: edge feather garbage matte
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great tips and info, as usual. Thanks for sharing about ADL. It seemed that the fora were quite on that front, but one never knows.

Appreciated,

Hunt