23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 9:44 AM by roryross

Shrink Canvas to Artboard

iamgregor Level 1

I finally figured out how to make the artboard fit the scan of my hand-drawn artwork. This makes it easier to work with when I'm tracing, but the canvas is so large that whenever I try to scroll, it jumps everywhere. Leaving aside how this should be a very simple process, the main question is, how do I make the canvas fit to my artwork?

• 1. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
          markerline Level 4

Not sure I understand.  If your artwork is a certain size then your artboard will be large, especially if you scanned the

file at a high resolution and you have a large scanning platen.  If it's standard 8.5x14 or 8.5x11ish at a resolution of 300dpi you will have a certain size artboard.  Can't you just zoom out of your drawing to get a broader view of your work?  Alternatively you could resize your artwork using the bounding box handles when you import (place) your scan into Illustrator, making the drawing smaller.  Since you're tracing it you should still achieve a high resolution but be aware that manually tracing artwork with the pen tool using curves and lines leads to cleaner more efficient results, though it might take a while to trace manually.  (When I say more efficient, Live trace usually results in a lot of path points that you do not need.  You can simplify your path several times over but a direct trace with a tablet or your mouse and the pen tool is best)

• 2. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
            iamgregor Level 1

Sure I can zoom, but that's not the problem. The issue is that because the canvas is huge, when I try to scroll, the scroll bar handles are tiny and the slightest move makes it jump really far. I can work with it this way, but it's really annoying. There must be a simple fix.

• 3. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
              markerline Level 4

use the Hand tool.  By pressing the spacebar you get immediate access to the Hand tool and if you hold the spacebar it stays on the Hand tool until you let go.  With that option you can spacebar+drag your mouse ever so slightly to prevent having to scroll using the window tools.  In this way you can achieve the slight movement across the zoomed in canvas you would like to achieve.  There is a keyboard shortcut for the handtool also.  This is a similar method to Photoshop--there is a hand tool in that program as well.

• 4. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                markerline Level 4

Also take note of a fit to artboard method in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2883553#2883553

• 5. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                  iamgregor Level 1

I must be missing it. I can't see anything on that link about resizing the canvas...

• 6. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                    iamgregor Level 1

So you're saying that I can't resize the canvas? I have to use a goofy work-around? I realize that I'm pretty new to this, but it's discouraging to think that such a professional program as Illustrator can't do something so obviously simple.

• 7. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                      markerline Level 4

You obviously didn't read my remark about using the hand tool.  Resizing the Artboard is not your issue as you have described the

workflow problem you are having.  Your issue is being able to navigate your artwork and using the Hand Tool with dragging to the appropriate place on your artboard is the solution.  Just try it.  You will understand.

• 8. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You are correct the canvas cannot be reduced or enlarged. As for shrinking the canvas to the artboard you would regret it if it were even possible.

The canvas use to be the paste board where you can drag elements for you art you where not using on to the document and is big enough to make a document pretty large as well.

That last part is important most users are seeking to increase the canvas size and that might be possible with more power desktops and 64 bit support and better performance that will also come with 64 bit support. But making it smaller no one has ever ask for before. Although limiting the range of panning and zooming has come up once perhaps twice before.

Probably the best you can do is to zoom to a certain number of different magnification and location on the canvas and make the different Views, View>New View.

You can give them keyboard shortcuts. This is not a work around this is how the program works and if you require kind of efficiency then it will give an even better tool than you might think shrinking the canvas will do for you.

Try it.

Shrinking the canvas t an artboard size is not going to happen in your lifetime but increasing the size might happen soon enough.

Limiting the zoom and pan area might also happen but if it requires a lot of resources to accomplish I doubt it will get much backing.

I can see limiting the zoom and pan area. But again since we custom views it i hardly seems worth spending the resources for it.

• 9. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                          iamgregor Level 1

You obviously didn't read my question about resizing the canvas (not artboard) as I know how to use the hand tool already and I don't WANT to have to use a multi-button/key work-around when I can just use the scroll bars that are industry standard. As long as there's a quick shortcut (you said hold the spacebar) and it works efficiently, perhaps that will be ok, but having to use that to account for a flaw in their design is not the level of professionalism I had come to expect from Adobe.

• 10. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                            iamgregor Level 1

>>>You are correct the canvas cannot be reduced or enlarged.

That's really surprising.

>>>As for shrinking the canvas to the artboard you would regret it if it were even possible.

I doubt this is true, but I don't understand canvases so maybe I'm in no place to comment. If the scroll bars were based on only the size of all objects in the canvas however, I wouldn't even care.

I will look at the custom views thing you've said to see if it will help me scroll around better, but I'm really dubious that you're right. As I'm tracing my pencil art, I just want to move a little to the left or a little to the right and maybe down a little so I can see a hand or a face. I doubt I'd make a custom view for each part of the body I could possibly move to... but maybe I'm misunderstanding what custom views do.

>>>But making it smaller no one has ever ask for before.

Oh?

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1120853&page=65

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/graphics-design-help/t64268.html

http://www.fireworksguruforum.com/index.php?showtopic=709

http://www.justskins.com/forums/how-do-i-make-canvas-size-smaller-10736.html

Seems like plenty of people have this issue. But as I said before, if they would just limit the scrolling to the area I'm working in, then this wouldn't be an issue. the main problem is that even when I enlarge my image to ridiculous amounts, it still doesn't fill the canvas and I'm stuck with tiny scroll bars. Why even have them if that's the case?

• 11. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                              markerline Level 4

No reason to get snappy gregor.  The Hand tool by using Spacebar and dragging with the mouse IS an industry standard method.  I have never seen people use the scrollbars to navigate their artwork.  That requires moving your mouse away from the focus point on your artwork while using the Hand Tool keeps the focus point in place because the spacebar temporarily activates the hand tool for as long as you hold the spacebar down and then drag with the mouse to where you want in the artwork.

• 12. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You seem to not understand the implication of what you want to do is not desirable.

As far a the postings go you are taking a very literal interpretation of what the authors wrote they seem to be asking for a way to actually fit the document size to the art or at least have an artboard the size of the art so that when they open it the art on document is the focus.

They can do this but do not know how to.

The first user want to select the art , for instance, and then use a command to have the artboard fit that selected art which one can do then when they open the document the art is not surrounded but the say an 8.5 x 11 space.

The second link actually wants the same thing. They are confusing the difference between photoshops idea of a canvas and Illustrators neds.

Photoshop requires a canvas size to be the size of the image otherwise life would be difficult but then you are limited to work area and everything has to be on layers and then you have to hide layers, even though you can hide layers in AI it is not necessary to do this to make art that can be used in your document or artwork.I t is a big advantage.

Also if you shrank the canvas and then wanted to add another artboard now you would have to increase the canvas so how dos one do this if you have a fit canvas to artboard feature now it would have to fit canvas to more than one artboard but how do make an artboard when you do not have a big enough canvas in the first place. Or another way to put this you are really looking at inviting crash after crash after crash.

No one on this forum or any other forum I have seen has ever, ever asked for this feature except you even the postings you posted.

In ID (InDesign) you cannot do this because it actually does not make sense.

Having written the above the view to a user specified area on the other hand might be something work discussing, but I would not myself recommend such a feature without first knowing it could be accomplished without stability issues arising from it.

However it is a very interesting possibility and a good feature request.

Perhaps an extension of the View feature and or Workspace or perhaps a view tool.

Drag the tool to define a work area save it as a view and give it certain settings scroll in this area only with the escape key as a way out of this environment.

But the Canvas should be enlarged and the what you think would be desirable is not going to happen.

I don't know if this helps but you should read up about the difference between the canvas size artboards and views.

• 13. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                  iamgregor Level 1

I used the same words you did. If you feel that was being snappy, maybe you should look at yourself instead. Regardless, I'm going to consider what you said. When I use the hand tool, I do get much more precise motion and I may need to reevaluate. Thanks for your advice.

• 14. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                    Tom Usrey Level 3

You say "The issue is that because the canvas is huge, when I try to scroll, the scroll bar handles are tiny and the slightest move makes it jump really far. I can work with it this way, but it's really annoying. There must be a simple fix."

I would recommend a mouse with a scroll wheel; make sure the mouse has programmable software, and use it to set the scrolling speed to the speed that you prefer.

• 15. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                      markerline Level 4

markerline wrote:

use the Hand tool.  By pressing the spacebar you get immediate access to the Hand tool and if you hold the spacebar it stays on the Hand tool until you let go.  With that option you can spacebar+drag your mouse ever so slightly to prevent having to scroll using the window tools.  In this way you can achieve the slight movement across the zoomed in canvas you would like to achieve.  There is a keyboard shortcut for the handtool also.  This is a similar method to Photoshop--there is a hand tool in that program as well.

You're not referring to this portion of my post where I certainly didn't get snappy with you, are you?  I had to repeat myself to you about using the Hand tool in order for you to understand its usefulness.  I felt rather ignored that you didn't really consider it as an option before ranting about Adobe not having the wherewithall to address a user interface issue, having to use a goofy workaround instead.

-markerline

• 16. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                        iamgregor Level 1

I don't want to obsess over this, but since you asked, you are the one who posted:

"You obviously didn't read my remark about using the hand tool."

to which I replied

"You obviously didn't read my question about resizing the canvas (not artboard)"

Again, if you felt I was being snappy, keep in mind that I only used the same words you did.

As for your response about the hand tool, I realize you feel it's a better option and after having thought about it, I might agree (still need to try it), but keep in mind people aren't really excited about learning new techniques when old ones work well. Even if you're right about that tool and it works, I still think it's pretty strange that they'd design the program in a way that makes scrollbars all but useless. I don't understand the need for such a large canvas and even less that you can't resize it.

For now, I'll accept that I either need to use scroll wheel and shift scroll wheel or a hand tool to get around. I guess I don't have a choice.

• 17. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There at least as many cries of "Why can't the canvas be larger?" as your request. You've obviously never worked with outdoor signage, vehicle wraps, museum displays or any of a number of other projects where a larger canvas would be welcome.

• 18. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                            PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Just to go on record, I do get really excited about learning new techniques, especially when they work better then the old ones I have been flailing with and complaining about. Anyone who doesn't like new techniques and new methods to work in the newer versions of Illustrator should just stay in Illustrator 8… or Illustrator 88. This forum is all about learning the better ways of doing the things we need to do in Illustrator. Anyone who comes to this forum with the notion that new techniques are lame workarounds, and this program should work the way I think it should work, is coming in unreceptive to the knowledge and skills which are available through the users here.

So, when you say people aren't really excited about learning new techniques, perhaps you don't know the people in this creative community as well as you think.

• 19. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                              iamgregor Level 1

Correct and I likely never will work with professional design and require a larger canvas, but I understand why others would. Either way, it seems Adobe has some work to do for the sake of the community.

• 20. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                                iamgregor Level 1

Prepress, that's true though in my case, when I'm drawing with a pen, I have to put the pen down and grab the mouse to use the hand too. For me, that doesn't really work better in all cases. Regardless, my question has been answered for now.

• 21. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                                  [scott] Level 6

Put the stylus down and grab a mouse? Why?

All I need do is press the spacebar and use the stylus to move the artboard.

You might also find the Navigator Panel exceptionally useful given your complaints.

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                                    iamgregor Level 1

Oh.....

Right. That would be  a lot easier wouldn't it?

• 23. Re: Shrink Canvas to Artboard
                                                      roryross Level 1

It sounds to me like your issue is your system settings are set to "jump to" when scrolling rather than scrolling from edge to edge.? and the scroll bars show you the entire canvas not the page/document size.