9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 1:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?

masayukiendo

My old computer coudn't handle AVCHD fiel with PP CS5. I see lagging on my playback all the time.
      So I'm going to buy Dell computer for AVCHD video editing.

Are those spec fine?

PROCESSORS Intel® Core™ i7-960 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz)

MEMORY 12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
      HARD DRIVE 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
      VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
      Total $1800

I'm concernd about video card.

I'm customizing on dell website. And I need to sellect from below choice.

ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 (select)
      nVidia GeForce GTS 240 1024MB
      ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
      nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB
      ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

And If it doesn't work, I will buy only GeForce GTX 285 and replace it my self.

Please advice!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only one hard drive is not going to work... read Harm's guide at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

The computer I use to edit AVCHD is discussed in my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 2. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
            JaysonM-Y Level 3

so you went dell.... because.... um...... warranty? and labour?

others will interject with more constructive posts. But seriously, rethink going to Dell for your build.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like a nice machine for office work. Not for editing.

A single disk will not do. You need 3 or more disks. The video card does not allow use of hardware accelerated MPE. The memory runs at only 1066. The crippled BIOS of Dell machines does not allow for faster memory or overclocking. The price tag at Dell to make it an editing machine is extravagant. They steal you blind.

Example: 1 TB disk at Dell costs (local price) € 148 as an upgrade from a 250 G disk. Same disk at the average store € 60.

Better find a local builder, who understands video editing requirements and can build a specialized system for you, if you feel uncomfortable with building yourself.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                masayukiendo Level 1

I had my mind set on Dell as they're Tech support seemed to be excellent. But after reading the three posts below, I've changed my mind. Any recommendations on computer manufacturer? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Look at some confugurations here as people have composed their systems, check out how these systems perform on the PPBM4 Benchmark and compose your own list of components that fit your budget. Then ask a couple of local builders for a price offer and suggested improvements and try to get a feel for their reputation. Adobe Forums: What PC to build? may be a good place to start. You need a builder that understands video editing, not gaming. Once you have found a reliable builder, you have your support around the corner and that is a great plus.

This is all assuming you are reluctant to build it yourself and do the support yourself.

• 6. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                    masayukiendo Level 1

Thanks so much for your advice. I cannot build computers.

I actually have purchased a laptop at Fry's last Friday. I went in there specifically looking for a computer that can handle HD video editing without lagging, as my three-year-old computer lags really badly. Fry's recommended the ASUS G60 series Gaming laptop and assured me that this would be more than enough spec to handle editing since it can handle intense gaming. Since I know very little about computers, I trusted them and bought the recommended gaming laptop for $1500.00.

Here are the specs:

ASUS G60 series (G 51 Jx)

Intel® Core i7 ™ Q720 (1.60GHz Turbo 2.80Ghz) RAM 6GB 64bit Windows7 nVIDIA Geforce GTS 360M cuda 1G

So now I have a gaming Laptop that lags worse than my three year old computer while trying to edit HD videos. I called ASUS tech help numerous times and they keep telling me that the notebook shouldn't lag. I want to return this to Fry's (they charge 15% restocking fee) and get something with a decent price tag that can run editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 "without lag. Please let me know if you know of a good local builder in Southern California, preferably southern Orange County area.

• 7. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Please let me know if you know of a good local builder in Southern California, preferably southern Orange County area.

Unfortunately, I do not, since I live in the Netherlands, in fact I have never been to Southern California. But you can change that if you make me an offer I can't refuse, like inviting my wife and me over, all expenses paid by you of course, and I will build you the machine myself.

Seriously, there are many from that area that can chime in. Hope they do.

Your experience with the Asus laptop at Fry's emphasizes my point about knowing about video editing, not about gaming. This salesperson obviously did not know the vastly different requirements. You could also try to post a question about reliable builders on DVInfo.net

• 8. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

local is not always best! you need a company that not only builds systems but also can SUPPORT Adobe.

google "adobe editing computer"

and yeah most laptops are not good for editing

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: Is it right choice for PP&AF CS5?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You should be able to find some graphics machine builders, who know NLE boxes, and not just 3D, near you, or up the Coast if necessary.

Now, should you NOT find such, I have a builder in Mesa, AZ, but that is a bit far, and there are bound to be a few dozen good folk in between.

Might want to post a PM to Eric Addison, as he's the president of the Adobe Premiere Users Group in San Diego. That would yield recs. much closer than AZ. If he could get you a builder in La Jolla, or Newport, at least that would be a prettier drive, than mine from Phoenix to far East Mesa!

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - note that some extreme gamer rigs can be converted to NLE work pretty well, so long as the builder knows what they are doing. Things like SLI, Crossfire, etc., will be of no use to you, and should not be used, however much a gamer, or 3D artist might benefit from them.