6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 8:28 AM by Doc Maik

Bookmarks in PDF on web

jay fresno Level 2

If a PDF file has bookmarks that link to various pages in the same PDF, and the opening view for that PDF is Bookmarks Panel and Page -- once the PDF is posted on a web page, will the initial view display as specified and will the bookmark links work properly? I can't test this myself, so would appreciate if someone can help out answering this question.

• 1. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
          Doc Maik Level 4

Why shouldn't you be able to test it? I suppose you got a browser and internet access, else you couldn't write here.

Open your browser, go to FILE->OPEN and open the PDF. The PDF should open with the PDF plugin. Now you can test. This is the same as when opening from web, because the browser first downloads to local drive and then opens.

Besides, it should of course open as specified in the PDF. If is does not, this goes to Adobe's address.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
            jay fresno Level 2

Mk,

I'm embarrased that I didn't know that simple information how to open the PDF in browser.

For anyone who may be interested, I was surprised to find that the bookmarks panel did not automaticaly show when the PDF was opened in a browser window. (When opened in Acrobat, the bookmarks panel did show as specified in the initial view settings.)

• 3. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
              Doc Maik Level 4

What browser and PDF plugin do you use? I tried it with a document I set to show bookmarks panel and zoom to full page, then opened it in Firefox with Adobe's Reader plugin and it showed the bookmarks panel in the browser and the page in full.

The same worked for IE8 and Chrome. Because Chrome has no menu entry like "File->Open" I used drag'n'drop.

• 4. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Reader and Acrobat have a default view for opening PDFs when the PDF does not have a specifically set view. So if you open a PDF file without a specified view to show the document and bookmarks, then the default for the application is applied and if that view is page only that is want is displayed. If the PDF;s initial view is set the bookmarks and page then the bookmarks are displayed no matter what the application is set at.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
                  Doc Maik Level 4

GKaiseril wrote:

Reader and Acrobat have a default view for opening PDFs when the PDF does not have a specifically set view. So if you open a PDF file without a specified view to show the document and bookmarks, then the default for the application is applied and if that view is page only that is want is displayed. If the PDF;s initial view is set the bookmarks and page then the bookmarks are displayed no matter what the application is set at.

He was actually talking about PDFs with a specified view, not showing as expected on his PC.

• 6. Re: Bookmarks in PDF on web
                    jay fresno Level 2

Thanks to all for your help.

User error. I re-saved the file, and this time it worked. I tried it in IE, Firefox,Safari, and Chrome -- all browsers correctly displayed bookmarks panel and page.