4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 9:07 PM by Praful_Jain

Why do some links break when an RHA file is generated from RoboHelp 8?

marnellg

Hi,

I got around my earlier problem of merging RoboHelp projects into a single AIR file by generating each project as an RHA file (Output type = Help Content only) and then combining them in an AIR container (built using the Help Viewer Wizard). This works pretty well, with each combined project selectable from a drop-down menu at the top right of the container window. However ...

... while most of the links work fine in the combined AIR executable, quite a few don't work. (They do work in native RoboHelp, and they work when I generate a project as an AIR application in its own right. But when I generate them as RHA files and combine them in an AIR container, some links no longer work.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Cheers

Geoff

• 1. Re: Why do some links break when an RHA file is generated from RoboHelp 8?
          Praful_Jain

Hi Geoff,

Can you please mention the links (what do they point to), which does not work in case of RHA files?

If possible can you please share a sample rha file which has this issue. It will help me in finding the root cause of the issue.

Thanks

Praful Jain

Adobe RoboHelp Team

• 2. Re: Why do some links break when an RHA file is generated from RoboHelp 8?
            marnellg Level 1

Hello Praful,

Thanks for the quick response.

I notice that all the failed links are popups (although some popups ar eworking OK).

The app is recognising each  trigger as a hyperlink (as the sursor changes to a pointing finger when over thelink), but clicking on the link does nothing. All the jumps seem to work OK.

Also, I noted some graphics that did not come across. They are in the original RoboHelp project, but not in the RHA file when called from the AIR container. And other graphics have moved, so that they are now obscuring text (which was not the case in the native RoboHelp project).

The files are quite large, so I probbaly cannot email them to you. Can I FTP them to you?

Your help would be greatly apprreciated.

Regards

Geoffrey Marnell

Technical Writer

Leica Biosystems Melbourne Pty Ltd

+61 3 9211 7578

• 3. Re: Why do some links break when an RHA file is generated from RoboHelp 8?
              Praful_Jain Level 3

Hi Geoff,

You can upload the file to any sharing site like https://acrobat.com

and mail me the shared file URL @ praful@adobe.com, also mention the page where the link is not working.

Thanks

Praful

• 4. Re: Why do some links break when an RHA file is generated from RoboHelp 8?
                Praful_Jain Level 3

Hi,

The issue which Geoff was facing has been resolved. I thought of passing the same information to the user forum, so that other users can benefit from this as well.

The main problem which Geoff was facing was links were not working as expected for some of the popups in case of RHA file.

The problem was in the file-names for the popup topics, The name of some of the popup topic file was having a unicode charcter in the file-name. Since RHA is basically a zip file, the unicode name was not getting saved  properly in the zipped RHA file. Changing the name of popup topic file (topic properties dialog), solved the problem of link break.

As a thumb of rule, Users should try to keep the file names as simple ASCII characters, to avoid any unforseen issues. One more thing which is a problem is unicode file names having other issues when published on web-servers, as different browsers behave in different ways for unicode characters in web URL.

One more question which also came up was how to ensure a proper order of labels shown in help application, in case of multiple help files.

Well RoboHelp AIR Help application uses the id attribute provided in the helpcfg file to acertain the order of all the help files. So changing the id attribute also changes the order of Label in the AIR application.

I hope it will help other users going forward.

Thanks

Praful