10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2010 2:23 PM by the_wine_snob

AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed

lmenningen Level 1

Import an avi into Premiere Pro CS5 results in Audio only. What else does Premiere Pro need to recognize the video?

There are a few other topics wherein Premiere silently accepts import of an avi but thinks it is a sound file, there is no video. The recommendations and fixes have usually been that the codec of the video in the avi is not installed.

However, in my case the codec might actually be installed. I was given some footage by a high-school student made by his Vado camera. GSpot (Ver (2.70a Build 20070222) says the Codec is H264, Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Status: Installed.

He also gave me an executable which we thought was something to install Vado's CODEC, but that didn't seem to help (I don't even know that the install worked)

GSPO Export report Is copied below.

Thanks for any help on what to do next.

Lee

--------------------------------------

GSPO "Export" Report:

--- File Information ---                                                       
      File Name:                                      VID02160.AVI                    
      File Name (with full path):                     D:\Video\Messiah\VBS 2010\June 21-25\Day 1 avi\VID02160.AVI          
      File Size (in bytes):                           14,795,882                    

--- Container Information ---                                                  
      Base Type (e.g "AVI"):                          AVI(.AVI)                
      Subtype (e.g "OpenDML"):                        AVI v1.0,                  
      Interleave (in ms):                                      
      Preload (in ms):                                      
      Audio alignment("split across interleaves"):            
      Total System Bitrate (kbps):                    0           
      Bytes Missing (if any):                         0           
      Number of Audio Streams:                        1      

--- Video Information ---                                                      
      Video Codec Type(e.g. "DIV3"):                  H264             
      Video Codec Name(e.g. "DivX 3, Low-Motion"):    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC             
      Video Codec Status(e.g. "Codec Is Installed"):  Codec(s) are Installed           
      Duration (hh:mm:ss):                            0:13.933               
      Frame Count:                                    418            
      Frame Width (pixels):                           1280                 
      Frame Height (pixels):                          720                 
      Storage Aspect Ratio("SAR")"                    1.778                    
      Pixel Aspect Ratio ("PAR"):                     1.000                    
      Display Aspect Ratio ("DAR"):                   1.778                    
      Fields Per Second:                                       
      Frames Per Second:                              30.000         
      Pics Per Second:                                30.000           
      Video Bitrate (kbps):                           8305                
      MPEG-4 ("MPEG-4" or ""):                                          
      B-VOP ("B-VOP" or ""):                                       
      QPel ("QPel" or ""):                                         
      GMC ("GMC" or ""):                                            
      NVOP ("NVOP" or ""):                                         
      H264 ("H264" or ""):                                            
      Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame:              0.300"                    

MPEG-2 ("MPEG-2" or ""):                                          
      Interlaced ("I/L" or ""):                                     
      Progressive ("Prog" or ""):                                  
      Top Frame First ("TFF" or ""):                                
      Bottom Frame First ("BFF" or ""):                             
      3:2 Pulldown ("3:2" or ""):                                   
      Picture-per-field ("PPF" or ""):                              

--- Aspect Ratio Related ---                                                   

Broadcast standard: "PAL" (else blank)                  
      Broadcast standard: "NTSC" (else blank)                
      src:"VCD", "SVCD", "CVD", or "DVD (else blank):     
      Instructions to convert to VCD,  first part:        
      Instructions to convert to VCD,  second part:       
      Instructions to convert to SVCD, first part:       
      Instructions to convert to SVCD, second part:      
      Instructions to convert to CVD,  first part:        
      Instructions to convert to CVD,  second part:       
      Instructions to convert to DVD,  first part:        
      Instructions to convert to DVD,  second part:       
      Instructions to convert to AVI,  first part:        
      Instructions to convert to AVI,  second part:       

--- Audio Information ---                                                      
      MPEG Stream ID (e.g. "0xbd"):                            
      MPEG VOB file Substream(e.g. "0x80"):                 
      Audio Codec (e.g. "AC3"):                       0x0002 (ADPCM)                  
      Audio Codec Status (e.g. "Codec Is Installed"): Codec(s) are Installed           
      Audio Sample Rate (Hz):                         44100            
      Audio Bitrate(kbps):                            177                
      Audio Bitrate Type ("CBR" or "VBR"):                       
      Audio Channel Count (e.g. "2" for stereo):      1         

• 1. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Pr does not do well with AC3 audio in an AVI file.  Not in CS4 or CS5, anyway.  Find a way to separate the audio and video portions into separate files, or to convert the AC3 audio to PCM audio in the same file and you should be OK.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Audition can rip the Audio stream from most AV files, and I would assume that Soundbooth can too. The great little free audio-editor, Audacity, can also do this well. Once the Audio stream has been ripped, one just does a Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file, and that will Import into PrPro.

There are also several de-muxing utilities available, but I do not have a list of them. IIRC, several are free and will output a Video stream and an Audio stream.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With DivX material, one is never going to able to Import and edit it in PrPro. Conversion is going to be the only option.

This is regardless of the presence of the DivX CODEC on the system. This ARTICLE will give some background on CODEC's.

Other than direct conversion, some NLE's, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, CAN edit with the DivX/Xvid CODEC. That would be another option.

Note: DivX/Xvid are heavily compressed delivery-only formats/CODEC's. As such, they do a good job for streaming media, but editing is very tough, if not impossible. Also, most of the quality has been wrung out of the file, so that the Exported, edited version will NOT be good.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                Jim_Simon Level 8

What else does Premiere Pro need to recognize the video?

Pro video from a pro camera.  For the 'consumer' stuff you have, a consumer editing program may provide better results.

• 5. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                  jabloomf1230 Level 1

GSpot only works with 32 bit codecs and filters. For AVI files, Premiere Pro CS5 only uses 64 bit codecs. You need another codec utitlity (Google "InstalledCodecs", for example) that lists 64 bit codecs and filters.

• 6. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                    lmenningen Level 1

Actually, Jim, Premiere Pro is a MUCH better editor than being limited to only pro camera's. (So Adobe certaily shouldn't discourage sales to less-than-Pro users!)

I have 5 cameras (3-JVC's, 1 Canon 7D, and a Casio) and none of them are "Pro" cameras, yet they all edit beautifully in Premiere Pro. Indeed, I have read several times that more and more videographers are now making stuff with 7D's which is certainly not a professional camera and it falls squarely in the consumer camp. But because the consumer 7D is so affordable yet makes good video, it is finding favor even among Premiere Pro editors, but notice it uses a very standard codec. My JVC's are no longer in production but they, too, make excellent 1920,x1080i video. I don't have any "pro" cameras.

I think a more accurate criteria might be related to (as Bill Hunt alludes) whether the camera is using the right codec's. A few might be taking short-cuts (to avoid paying a codec royalty?), but others are using a good enough codec that PrePro can handle, and it might boil down to a matter of knowing which consumer camera's use which codecs/formats that Premiere Pro can handle.

• 7. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                      shooternz Level 6

FWIW:  I converted some DivX clips the other day to make them useable.

I used AVS Video Converter (and AVS Video Editor)  for the task.

A clunky process but it worked and got the job done.

• 8. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        A clunky process but it worked and got the job done.

At the end of the day, this is often what it is all about.

I often have to deal with sub-par source material, and try to explain what the results will look like. Sometimes, that material is all that there is.

I use another conversion program, that does a good job and offers batch conversions, even with mixed media. Now, I do need the proper CODEC's installed, but then the converted material edits fine.

Hunt

• 9. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                          lmenningen Level 1

All these suggestions were right on and helpful - I downloaded a trial of AVS Video Converter 6 and it seems to work, so maybe I'll go with that. Last time I had to forgo using the "young up and coming videographer's" stuff resulting in one disappointed young lad, but we're going through another event next week, so maybe this time I can convert and use his Vado material!

Thanks everyone!

• 10. Re: AVI No VIdeo but Codec Installed
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Other than the quality loss, DivX has converted well for me, when I had to use it.

Glad that you got things sorted out. I do not know the conversion program that you used, but am glad to hear that it worked well for you.

Good luck,

Hunt