7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 7:55 AM by Jacob Bugge

Problem creating compound path

stevenvh504 Level 1

We're talking Ai CS5.
      I've got an outer closed path representing a brain, with several other closed paths inside of it, representing brain folds. I want to create a compound path, such that the folds appear white (background colour) against a gray colour for the brain. What happens is that certain folds become white as they should, while others get the same gray colour as the brain. I checked that the path is closed.
      Any idea what's going on?
      TIA
      Steven

You can check (a stripped version of) the file at http://nenya1.net/temp/brain.ai.
      On my PC the left yellow path doesn't seem to get included in the compound path (i.e. doesn't become transparent) while the right yellow path does.
      Note: I just checked the file I uploaded to make sure you see the same things I do. Although it is the same file the areas which don't become part of the compound path are different!

PS: Some paths appear 3 times on top of each other. Seems to be an artifact of the tracing I applied to a scanned image.

• 1. Re: Problem creating compound path
          stevenvh504 Level 1

Looks like I can fix it changing the path direction in the attributes panel, but this is a tedious job: a brain has many folds! :-(

Also the question remains why some paths have their direction right, while others don't.

S.

• 2. Re: Problem creating compound path
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Steven,

You may use Pathfinder>Minus front (Subtract from shape area in older version, hold Alt/Option to get a simple path).

This works regardless of the path directions. You may work your way up through the folds in the Layers Panel, starting with the outer shape and the lowest fold, and then just Shift clicking the one above; when you reach duplicates, you may delete them (selecting them alone and then continuing).

Also the question remains why some paths have their direction right,  while others don't.

You also have right and left hemispheres (or should we say right and wrong hemispheres?).

• 3. Re: Problem creating compound path
              stevenvh504 Level 1

Thanks, Jacob.

You also have right and left hemispheres (or should we say right and wrong hemispheres?).

No problem for anybody with half a brain...

• 4. Re: Problem creating compound path
                Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You often get uplicate paths, when you don't check the "ignore white" option in Live trace. So do check this when scanning black and white.

I would try one of those Select Duplicate JavaScripts (see here for example http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/skripte/javascript/uebersicht )

If there's a hole in a compound path depends on the fill rule. There's two of them. Only one depends on path direction. But both won't succeed, when there too many paths on top of each other. So you first have to remove the duplicates.

• 5. Re: Problem creating compound path

You are welcome, Steven.

I often use Object>Compound Path>Make, but when it does not work, the Pathfinder way does.

Actually, with both you may normally select everything and create the Compound Path in one step.

But with Object>Compound Path>Make it breaks down if you have duplicate paths, overlapping parts, reversed paths.

Pathfinder>Minus front removes duplicate parts, cuts out the entire shape of overlapping parts, and cuts out reversed paths.

Therefore I believe it is much easier in this case.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problem creating compound path
                    stevenvh504 Level 1

Vielen Dank, Monika!

I never went to the Live Trace options dialog, so I wasn't a ware of the "ignore white" option. It seems to do the job perfectly: just the black paths remain.

Jacob, I tried the Pathfinder solution, but it doesn't work as expected when I select everything at once; some white paths still disappear. Selecting them one at a time and then "minus front" seems to work, but takes longer than Monika's solution.

Thanks again to both of you!

Steven

• 7. Re: Problem creating compound path

For my part you are welcome, Steven.