5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 12:49 PM by the_wine_snob

make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project

JanSj

If I have photos taken with my 10MPIX camera sony WX1 and also HD film (which may not work in Elements) and I want to make a slideshow should I then use a project with DV setting or a project with HD setting.

I will probably look on LCD TV HD ready or better and may also burn to DVD.

I remember from earlier version of PRE that pictures were not easy to get good quality when adding together with DV footage.

I tried a slideshow in Phtotshop element and pciture quality was very good when looking via TV - but there are limited function regarding what you can to.

So I would like to use premiere elements and still keep good quality.

any tips?

If I use HD setting and burn to DVS -  any problem with doing that?

if I add DV footage to the project - any problem I will face then?

I have version 8 of Permier elements and Photoshop elements

• 1. Re: make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Given that you have HD Video footage, I would start the Project with those characteristics, matching perfectly to that source footage. Then, Scale (re-size) your stills in PS/PSE to match that Frame Size. Edit as required, and then burn to BD (Blu-ray Disk) for showing on the TV. For one workflow in Scaling your stills, this ARTICLE might be useful.

If you then need to do an SD/DVD version, you can choose that as the Export/Share setting, choosing DV-AVI Type II, and then Importing that into an NTSC/PAL DV Project. Do any additional editing, and then author the DVD Project to DVD-Video with necessary Menus, etc.

For conversion of HD to SD, the tutorial, linked in this ARTICLE might give you some tips for maintaining as much quality, as is possible, though it was written for use in PrPro CS4, and not PrElements.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project
            JanSj Level 1

thanks I will have to dig into more into your links.

What if I only have stills - I guess I then should use a HD project setting - and probably resave picture quality as you describe you do so that picture is as big as the HD screen to save processing time?

I have to explain this to my wife - and with 400 pictures it is some work at least first time trying to understand how to do it.

• 3. Re: make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For stills only, I would choose an HD Project Preset, say 1920 x 1080, and then Scale (re-size) to that. If you need to Pan on any Zoomed out stills, I'd then bump them up to allow for the Pan. Even if it means that I have to Scale to a few different sizes, I will just calculate the amount of movement that I will require, and Scale to that. Some feel that it's better to Scale up everything to that largest necessary size, but I do not like the Scaling algorithms in PrE/PrPro, so do as much of it in PS, as I possibly can, and do NOT let the NLE program do any Scaling. That is just my preference and workflow.

The article on Large Still Images, offers automation with Actions in PS, but I do not know how any of that plays in PSElements, sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] The above recs. are for producing a BD from the Project.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 4. Re: make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project
                JanSj Level 1

thanks is BD = BlueRay disc?

I saw you preferred saving image to PSD format - is that better than saving jpeg to another resolution jpeg?

• 5. Re: make a slideshow in premiere DV or HD project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, BD = Blu-ray Disk. Sorry about that use of jargon.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful