1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 5:57 AM by digitlman

Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming

firetrak Level 1

Hi All,

Please forgive me if i seems really pissed off and fed up.

I've just bought CS5, been using 1.5, 2 and CS3 for years now without this issue.

I have 3 machines that i've installed and tried CS5 premiere pro on.

1) 8 core mac pro boot camped into windows 7, so i am using this on that platform

2) dual core sony FW laptop with 2.8ghz processor, windows 7

3) Quad core intel extreme, windows 7

Those are the 3 machines i've tried this on.

On every single machine Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming, it indexes and conforms a file and as soon as i start to work on it, it starts all over again.

This is what i've tried

I've tried to work on over 20 different files, they are all HDV mpeg2 1440x1080 files captured off a sony HDV m15u deck. ALL these files index and conform correctly with all previous versions of premiere pro, but not with CS5.

I've tried deleting the media cache db, by cleaning it through cs5 and by manually deleting the files.

i've done the same with the media cache files, i've also moved the location to our NAS which is mapped on my machine so the drive letter is always the same, tried moving it to a secondary drive as well, i've click the option to store the cache files with the movie.

NONE of this makes any damn difference, it still just indexes and conforms over and over.

I've even un-install everything to do with adobe and only reinstalled cs5, i've done this on all three computers.

I'm pretty proficient, at least i thought so, but nothing is working.

Does anyone have any advice, is it readily apparent that i'm doing anything wrong here?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Repost of my last reply on this topic, since it was buried in a thread with an unrelated title:

RE: the audio reconforming, I'd categorize that as a separate issue.  I know one particular instance of this that I tripped across has to do with XMP, and I'm not sure that it was ever solved:  when an Adobe app imports media, it wants to inject it with XMP metadata.  If a file is somehow detected as invalid, we abstain from injecting this XMP data into the file.  So far, so good.

Where things go wrong:  one of the things that we want to inject into the file is a notion of a unique ID.  If the injection fails, each time you re-open the file(s) in question, we notice that it doesn't have any XMP data.  Not a problem, we create a new one.  The catch?  The conformed audio that we generate around that file uses that unique ID as part of the mapping scheme.  Since it's a new XMP blob on each launch, the ID never matches, the app can't find conformed audio with a matching ID, so it generates new conformed audio.  Pain!

I saw this in particular with wave files from a Tascam field recorder, where it was writing something slightly wrong in the wave file.  Not enough that the file was unusable, but enough to trigger the XMP safeguard & cause this scenario to happen.  Other scenarios where this could happen:  if the audio files are write protected.

One thing you can attempt:  there's a setting in the prefs to turn off 'XMP on write', I think it's called.  I think that circumvents this problem.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
            firetrak Level 1

Thank you very much for your answer, i'll try it tomorrow, when i go back into work. Although i've noticed that the movies do have xmp files when they conform and index. but i'll try the solution and see if it works anyway.

i'll post back and let you know.

cs3 i believe wrote xmp files and premiere pro 2 did as well and i didn't have issues then.

thanks

• 3. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
              Jim_Simon Level 8

cs3 i believe wrote xmp files and premiere pro 2 did as well and i didn't have issues then.

I believe the specific kind of internal media management Wil is talking about was introduced with CS4, which would explain why your earlier versions all work properly.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                firetrak Level 1

Cool thanks Jim, well i'm about to test it, hopefully it works.

• 5. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                  firetrak Level 1

It did not work.... trust me i'd like to add expletives there... does anyone else have any advice on this?

Especially any adobe employees

• 6. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming

Can you post a small sample file somewhere?

• 7. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                      firetrak Level 1

i cannot it is adult orientated.

But i know it is not the file, as it works and countless thousands of others work in previous versions. I've tried over twenty different files and they all do the same thing.

• 8. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        it is adult orientated.

Now there's a new reputation for Premiere.  Seems it's not just for "wedding videographers" anymore.

• 9. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                          firetrak Level 1

Hasn't been for some time. I prefer it over pretty much any other editing program. except when this crap happens.

• 10. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming

Well, either it's media specific, or system specific.  I'm trying to narrow things down.  (I don't agree necessarily that since the clips worked fine in previous versions, that it has nothing to do with the media - for instance, what if XMP can't overwrite some previous XMP data in the file?  It could be something as esoteric as that - you might find that newly captured clips don't have the issue.  That's one worthwhile thing to check.)

Do you have another system that you can install PPro onto locally to test?  (Leaving the media cache settings at their default, so that you're not introducing anything from the NAS, etc)

• 11. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                              firetrak Level 1

Thanks Will,

I've tried PPro on two other machines as noted in my initial post, nothing is working.

I'll recapture that tape and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the continued help, i do appreciated it.

• 12. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                firetrak Level 1

ok so i captured and put a brand new file into it, i though it worked, until i put it onto the timeline and it bloody well started to index and conform again.

What is going on?

• 13. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming

I know you mentioned moving the media cache around, but where is the media itself located?  Is this only happening with media on the SAN, or can you replicate this with media copied to a local drive?

• 14. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                    firetrak Level 1

i've only tried it with media on the san/nas. I cannot work off local we are talking over 5tbs of content, it simply isn't feasible for me to move it. i'll run a test to see if that is the issue though

• 16. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                      firetrak Level 1

I've tried it and it doesn't work..... I even put a new drive in my 8 core and reinstalled windows7 and Ppro CS5 and it is still doing it......

• 17. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Just thinking here, so you can feel free to ignore it.

Do you have full permissions on the SAN/NAS?

What is the connection, Gigabit?

Do you have Windows Indexing ON for that drive? If so, can you turn it OFF?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                          firetrak Level 1

Hey Bill,

I am completely open to anyway, ask me to dance and i may just do it.

I have full permissions to the nas, its a gigabit connection.

indexing is probably on, does this screw things up? i'll turn it off now.

thanks

• 19. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                            firetrak Level 1

my next solution is to throw my content onto an external via firewire 800.... but that will really be inconvenient, i work on about 4 tb of content a week and the drive is only 1tb in size.

i really cant believe that there is not a solution to this issue.

• 20. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows Indexing has cause many issues with larger files, both Assets and working files. It is designed to speed up Searches. What happens here, however, is that the application tries to find useful info in those files, but cannot. That does not stop it from trying, and trying. When it is busy on these large files, it will lock them, so that programs cannot access them. There are dozens of different error, or warning messages, that might be issued, and some are pretty cryptic. When these files get changed, like with the working files, Windows Indexing tries all over again. Also, it uses a lot of resources, that are better allocated to editing.

I keep it OFF for all drives. Some will keep it on for certain folders on certain drives, but I have few needs to speed up Search, so I just shut it down. Might be worth investigating. Not sure if it is a contributor, but can really get in the way when editing Video, or Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I use 2TB external FW-800's, and they work for me. However, I am NOT working on such large Projects, as you are.

Now, WD has some 4TB units with multiple (usually FW-400, FW-800 and eSATA) connections. I cannot use those, because I am still on XP. Vista and above can be set to see the larger externals, and when I go with Win7-64, I will employee some of those too. I'll be adding eSATA to the new workstation, so will go that route, and just have FW-800 for my legacy units, as I am heavily invested. Might work for you.

If you do go with the larger externals, one tip: in the OS, set each of those externals to a unique drive letter, and mark each external with that drive letter. Do this in the OS of any machines, that are likely to use that/those drive(s). This keeps one from having to locate Assets in PrPro, as a system will just assign the next unused drive letter, and if one has added anything, that drive letter will differ from session to session. I just started with Z:\ and worked backward.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming

If you're still seeing the problem on local drives, then I'm back to suspecting something with the media.  If it's also happening on newly captured clips in CS5, is it possible to capture a small 2 second clip of some benign content in order to look at a sample file?

• 23. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                    firetrak Level 1

Well you can just ******* scrub what i said below it is indexing and ******* conforming again.... this is ********.........

Ok i'm posting this here with trepidation, hopefully it actually is fixed.

I installed a brand new drive on the mac and dual booted into win7 clean install of everything, only using fresh files not touched before (well mostly) and so far it is indexing and conforming correctly, it hasn't finished up as there are about 30 plus files to work on, i'll let you know, hopefully this is the fix.

• 24. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Let us hope that it IS fixed, and that your posting the good news has, in no way, jinxed the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                        firetrak Level 1

I want this to work, seems like it will do wonders once it does but right now i simply cant take any more wasted time and effort.

• Its not the files, because i've tried about 100 from different sources
                                                        • Its not the machines because i've tried it on 3 completely different machines and all do the same thing
                                                        • Its not the NAS as this happens on local drives as well.
                                                        • I've updated CS5 Ppro, so that isn't the issue
                                                        • I've only tried it on windows 7 64 bit, but this i assume is the os of choise
                                                        • All other versions of CS which i own, do NOT do this with any of the files.

That only leaves one issue, the program, this is an upgrade version, could that be the issue, is the full version any different? It is not a trail version.

Adobe you need to step in here, i fully appreciate everyones help, but i'm sure they are just as exasperated over this as I.

• 26. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                          firetrak Level 1

i think i did jinx it. as you can see by my post.

• 27. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, I hate to hear that. I have done the same too many times. I have learned to not flaunt the video-gods, and just move on. Same with the golf-gods - leave them alone and be thankful for that last lucky bounce and roll.

Sorry to hear that things are not perfect,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                              only tried it on windows 7 64 bit

Logged in with an Admin account?

• 29. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                Level 4

Hi,

Maybe there's something particular about the files and CS5 where previous versions are more "forgiving" re: HD...

Can you borrow or rent another deck and try out capture from another deck ? Or try capture direct from camera ?

Despite your content can you share a small file with someone so they can test in CS5 ?

Rod

• 30. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                  akennedy_toronto

Have you tried running the program as administrator? Right click and 'run as administrator'.

I had the same issue and running as administrator stopped the indexing. You have to run as administrator each time you open or it will re-index.

This isn't a solution but rather a workaround until we figure out why its happening.

Alan

PS: I am working with files from a SONY EX1

• 31. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                    tjoferg

I had the same problem. It turned out that I had captured two videos originally

while still on Windows Vista then upgraded to Windows 7 and both videos would not stop conforming in Premier CS3 or CS5 (tried both). So...I captured the video again from the original mini dv tape and now it works fine in CS3. I have not tried in CS5 yet.

• 32. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                      phx_zs

Chalk this up as another reason why Adobe is the software industry's biggest ripoff artist.  I love how powerful their programs are, but all of these obvious glitches that they can't be bothered to fix are just such a pain in the ***.  And the best part is, if they DO fix an issue, they make you pay thousands of dollars to get the new version where the issue is fixed, instead of providing a fix for the **** you already drained your wallet for!

I've had this same problem with at least CS3 and CS5, on PCs running both XP and Win7.  There is no solution.  The solution is Adobe actually fixing their software or maybe providing a patch once in a while.  This is so ****ed of an issue, trust me firetrak I have had more than one freakout about it and spent hours trying to fix it, only to swear off ever using Adobe software again (...until the next project I have to work on).  It sucks.  Get it together, Adobe.

• 33. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you are having issues, that most users do not ever have.

As the way things sort out, on average:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project/Sequence

4.) OE

5.) Bugs (at the very bottom

I'd say that your issues are somewhere above. I realize that you think that it must be #5, but you have about a 98% chance, that it is not.

Still, as you have offered zero detail on #'s 1 - 3, we can only assume that the correct answer is #4. Should you wish to follow up with the full information (this ARTICLE will give you tips), we might be able to help you. Otherwise, "I'll take # 4 for $500 Jay."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                          phx_zs Level 1

Oh, I've stopped looking for a solution to the problem.  I just intermittently have it and decided to gripe about it.  Since I've had this issue in one form or another across a spectrum of operating systems, program versions, and file formats I figure it isn't just something I'm doing.

I'm a programmer myself and I just think that while it may be difficult and time consuming to program applications that work well in all environments, it should be necessary if you're charging $2000+ for a suite of applications.

• 35. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, none of us here are Adobe programmers (that I am aware of), so can only comment on running the programs and nothing more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                              firetrak Level 1

Hi bill i don't know ... on a regular basis, but most users of this software are pretty competent in the technical as well, number 5 is in fact the most frequent cause of all bugs with adobe, not the other way around, perhaps you have no idea how computers and o/s's work but most of us do and most of us exhaust all of those possible fixes before we waste our times on these forums getting responses from the likes of you and the adobe cronies.

[post edited to remove inappropriate content]

• 37. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well let's look at a few things. I have been making a great living with Adobe software for many decades. I have used the majority of their stable.

I have actually been on the various fora, from before they were on the Internet - back in NNTP days, and have helped many thousand users of various programs.

In the many decades of helping folk, I have gotten a pretty good feel for what the problems are. I have listed those problems. I have seen few real Bugs in all that time. Yes, there are some, and Adobe normally is able to fix them in a patch, or two.

The vast majority of problems in Premiere, or Encore, sort out as:

1.) system

2.) Assets

3.) Project/Sequence

4.) OE

5.) Bugs

Now, Harm Millaard will argue that # 2 & # 3 are the exact same as # 4, but I give users the benefit of the doubt, and separate things out. This is not a dedicated survey, but is a bit "seat-of-the-pants," however, it is built over decades!

Now, where do you get your figures of all those Bugs from? Where are your statistics, or even your "seat-of-the-pants: observations? Can you put your "money, where your mouth is?"

How long have you been solving problems for Adobe users? From this Profile, it seems that you have been here, from Feb., 2010. Obviously, you were helping out at Creative Cow, or other sites, for a few decades, but I missed that.

Now, as for "stroking Adobe," all I care about is that my software works fine (it does), and that I can help others get their software working fine. That is the end of it, and is the bottom line. Out of curiosity, what is your "bottom line?"

If you have an issue with Adobe software, I would strongly suggest that you post those problems, give the full details, or otherwise consider not posting. Now, I am not a MOD here, but I do take my contributions to the Adobe software very seriously, and resent your assertions, veiled, or not.

My suggestion to you is "put up, or shut up," though I do expect that one of the MOD's will censor that comment. I would not blame them.

Good luck, and thanks for playing along,

Hunt

• 38. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                                  firetrak Level 1

Sorry Bill i was in a very irritable mood that day and I can only apologise for my comments, which incidentally i knew i would when i knew i wouldn't feel irritable, which probably all sounds a little confused and convoluted.

• 39. Re: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing and conforming
                                                                                    mobo5

firetrak, did you find a fix?  Having the same problem.  Trying not to expect too much from this software, but.....

1 2 Previous Next