9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 8:12 AM by Tom Usrey

Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)

hari_kdr Level 1

Hi Guys,

Coming with strange problem in Illustrator.

The problem is...

Take a new document in Illustrator (size doesn't matter) and draw a rectangle (size doesn't matter) put that left edge of artboard. from there move 0.1mm left. So your object is 0.1mm outside of artboard and the rest is inside of the artboard.

From here move 50mm to left side and back to 50mm right. Means I am keeping into same place. But here that object won’t come into same place. It will snap to the edge of artboard. I tried lot of options in CS2,CS3,CS4,CS5 versions. But not succeed. If you guys have any solution for this, please let me know.

If you need any more details, feel free to ask me.

Thanks and regards

HARI

• 1. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm assuming you move the object with precion using for instance the move dialog.

I can't reproduce that. When I do as you described the object is at the original place again afterwards. No snapping.

• 2. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
            hari_kdr Level 1

Thanks for the reply Monika

I did not get your answer properly, could you please me indetail how I can get it.

Thanks and regards

HARI

• 3. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)

I moved that object using Object > Transform > Move (or doubleclicking the Select tool)

After moving it 50 mm to the left, then to the right again, it got exactly to where it was before. No error.

How did you move it?

• 4. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
                hari_kdr Level 1

Hi

i use to move with using preference tool (command+k) give 50mm of Keyboard Increment. Then it is giving problem.

Actually in my openion it doesn't matter that which way we are moving. I do not get, why it is giving problem when I move with preference tool (command+k).

If you know anything about this, please share with me...

Thanks and regards

HARI

• 5. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)

I see what you mean. You enter an exact amount in prefs and move the object using the arrow keys.

Looks like Illy doesn't calculate it correctly (I entered 1 mm, it actually moved 1,0048 mm. But not regularly - it was OK in some cases, in others it wasn't).

I've never used the arrow keys for exact positioning.

• 6. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
                    hari_kdr Level 1

It's strange....

still i am confuse why in some cases it is not correct. it is giving error...

do you have any idea..!!!

Regards

HARI

• 7. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
                      Tom Usrey Level 3

I believe Illustrator uses points as its measurement system. What you're seeing is probably Illustrator's "rounding" of the values as it converts the millimeters to points and then back again.

• 8. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
                        hari_kdr Level 1

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

continue to your message..., then why it is  not happening when the object is in middle of artboard. The problem is happening when the object is near to artboard borders.

So I am really confused, why it is happening...

Kind regards

HARI

• 9. Re: Weird problem in AI (Objects are not sitting in same place)
                          Tom Usrey Level 3

Hari,

Here is some information from an old forum post by John Slate (it's disappeared from forum records, so any spelling errors are mine):

John Slate 7:12pm Apr 30. 05 PST (#4 of 7) Edited, 30-Apr-2005 ,t 07,14pm

It boils down to the fact that Illustrator's internal measurement is in points (in 2048 parts as I said in the old post).

So if you enter 30mm, that equals 85.03937007873 points. which would round to 85.0394 points in the Illy transform palette if that was one of the discreet parts of a point that Illy deals with.

But it is not.

The closest Illustrator division to this is 85.03955078125 points. which will round to 85.0396 points.

As a matter of fact if you enter 85.0394 points in the transform palette for the size of an object it will immediately switch to 85.0396 points.

The intemal measurement of 85.03955078125 points equals 30.000063747833 millimeters which rounds to 30.0001. so it all makes perfect sense.

...notice that if you click the artboard with the rectangle tool while yoor prefs are set to mm, and type in 30mm square. you end up with 30.0001wide X 29.9999high. I understand the 30.0001 but do not understand the 29.9999. The rounding is off.

Perhaps it is related to the fact that if you set your preferences to points and create a 100x100 point box in Illy and then start moving it around on the artboard using the selection tool, eventually the size of it changes by one Illy-click of .0005 points. or 100.0005pts or 99.9995pts. Sometimes one dimension changes and sometimes both change and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the changes, unless it relates to the place on the artboard that you drop the object on each move as it relates to the internal grid. Sometimes, in moving stuff about it changes even another click, so that 100x100 box becomes 100.001 in a dimension.

But in the final analysis, worrying about this degree of accuracy is an exercise in futility.

Trust me when I say that you need not worry about the rounding of measurements in Illy when that degree of accuracy far exceeds the smallest division found on even the highest resolution printing device.