4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 8:16 AM by kglad

Requesting peer review of coding technique.

Edwardion
      Hello, I'm curious if anyone here can review my flash to see if my coding techniques are proper.

To start, here's the site: Example Site

If you click on the top row of buttons corresponding to each section, you'll notice a slight transition before the section is loaded. Each section is a separate .swf file, which is loaded via actionscript to a MovieClipLoader. (See livedocs for the MovieClipLoader API reference)

The transition animation is responsible for passing calls to the MovieClipLoader for loading/unloading movies, and does so during keyframes in the animation's timeline. For example, when a button is clicked, and "the curtain is down" the MovieClipLoader is unloaded, and then loaded with a different .swf.

I don't have access to a screen reader to test how accessible the flash is. However, I have been told that accessibility standards suggest animations be hidden from a screen reader via the "wmode" property. Assuming the animation is disabled in the screen reader, will the transition animation still fire events it incurs on the timeline?

Should I not control loading/unloading of movie clips on the timeline? I believe my technique is robust enough to work in a non-accessible environment. It locks input while the animation is playing, and ensures a small memory footprint by unloading unused .swf files. However, is it the right approach with accessibility in mind?

Thanks for any input,

-Jonathan