4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 12:03 PM by Mitch Wallace

Talking to a SCORM LMS

Mitch Wallace

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to get Director to communicate with a SCORM compliant LMS system through Shockwave? If it is are there some examples of how to do this that you could point me in the direction of? I am completely new to SCORM and not exactly sure what I need to do.

• 1. Re: Talking to a SCORM LMS
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

It is possible, but not fun.

Every time I see questions about SCORM it is worth questioning why someone is going down this route, because more often than not it is an ill-advised client throwing around buzz words in an effort to sound like they know something.

That being said, there is this article on Devnet for starters.

Since SCORM compliance is really just a matter of communicating with JavaScript in the hosting page/browser, Valentin Schmidt's Dir <-> JS solution is also worth looking at.

• 2. Re: Talking to a SCORM LMS
            Mitch Wallace Level 1

Thanks for the links, I looked at both and have to say that I think I am less confident than before looking at them. Unfortunately I have limited JS experience and I’m getting the impression I will need to learn its ins and outs as well as suffering through SCORM’s flaming hoops of doom. (Hooray for people who didn’t even know what an LMS was until recently thinking SCORM is the be all and end all! They still don't know what SCORM is - just that it is a standard and standards are good.)

Will Valentin Schmidt’s example let you call any basic JS command from Shockwave or does more need done to it? Also, is there an example of how to integrate SCORM’s specific API into something like this?

• 3. Re: Talking to a SCORM LMS
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
              Will Valentin Schmidt’s example let you call any basic JS command from Shockwave ... ?

Yes, that is its intention.

Also, is there an example of how to integrate SCORM’s specific API into something like this?

Not that I'm aware of - you'll have to get your hands dirty

• 4. Re: Talking to a SCORM LMS
                Mitch Wallace Level 1

Thanks for the help, looks like I'm just going to have to dive in to see how deep it is.