8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 5:34 PM by cfsKC

System review assistance please

cfsKC Level 1

I have sought to sift through the very helpful postings in this forum in developing the basis of a dedicated workstation and now need just a little further clarification and advice before I have the system built by others. I will be using the Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection.

I create medical interview videos for publication on the Internet, mostly of 20-30 minutes in length. Some are as long as 75 minutes I shoot in AVCHD with a Panasonic AG-HMC150. My work typically has four or fewer video layers and two or three audio layers.

My understanding of the various postings leads me to believe that the following would work for me now and yet be a system that could be upgraded/expanded as may be needed in the future should my projects become more complex. The costs shown are for parts from NewEgg.

Processor

I-930 (OC 3.7) w/ I cpu   chip, 4 cores & 12 gig RAM

$   290

RAM

OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x   2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

$   366

Boot Drive/Disk

WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB   10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

$   200

Motherboard

ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7

$   280

Video Card

GTX 480 Ha

$   480

PowerSupply

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

$   130

Blu-Ray Burner

LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner

$   140

Cooler

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO   CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks 

$     90

Operating Syst

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit   OEM

$   134

Chassis

LIAN LI PC-A77F Black Aluminum   ATX Full Tower Computer Case 

$   350

Computer parts less storage total cost

$ 2,460

In spite of numerous reading of the various postings on storage and RAID I am much less clear as to the most appropriate storage to set up. I have been unable to get a clear understanding of whether or not I even need a RAID setup let alone how to determine which RAID controller best suits my needs.

I THINK that the following is appropriate. But would really appreciate comments on whether my storage inclination is reasonable and economical considering my current editing needs or whether I might be better off delaying the installation of a RAID system

RAID Controller

areca ARC-1680IX-12 PCIe x8 SAS   RAID Card

$   789

Storage

4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0gb/s   3.5"

$   280

HD 1 = OS & programs

HD 2 Media & Projects                        

HD 3 pagefile,  media cache

HD 4  previews &   Exports

Storage Total

$ 1,069

System Total

$ 3,529

Again, is there anything shown which is unnecessary or overkill for which something less expensive might be substituted. Is anything missing? What changes, if any, are suggested? I have not yet choosen a builder and am very open to recommendations in this area as well.

Finally, very special thanks, most notably to Harm, to the active posters in this forum for the invaluable insights and assistance offered in your postings and responses.