20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 10:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere pro cs5 crashing

swmoore

I just started my first cs5 hdv project. It captured video just fine, but crashes over and over again trying to do the simplest tasks like renaming a clip or scrubbing in source monitor. It even crashed in preferences. mac os 10.6.4 on mac pro dual core 2.66 with 12 gb memory. Not sure what to do! Go back to cs4?

• 1. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
          dradeke Adobe Employee

If I were to venture a guess based on the information you provided, I would say that you're not letting Premiere Pro generate the audio peak files and that you have several long clips.  Basically, Premiere Pro is reading the audio file and then creating a graphical waveform from it to assist you in the edit process.  You only have to do this once.

Reopen the project and look at the bottom lower right section of the timeline.  If you see it processing, then let it do it's thing until it's done.  Save your project then and you shouldn't have the problem any more.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
            firetrak Level 1

I know it sounds daft, but did you delete the previous versions of Premiere pro before installing this one, if not i'd get rid of them all including CS5 then install again by itself, this may solve the issue

• 3. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
              firetrak Level 1

Premiere pro should not crash because the waveforms haven't finished generating, if that is really the answer from adobe, god help all mac users.

• 4. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                swmoore Level 1

I'll give that a try.

CS3 and 4 are still on this computer should I uninstall them?

• 5. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

firetrak wrote:

Premiere pro should not crash because the waveforms haven't finished generating, if that is really the answer from adobe, god help all mac users.

This is both Mac and PC and most specific to the HDV codec.

• 6. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                    swmoore Level 1

Seems good now. Just scrubbed and renamed some clips. No more crashing.  Thank you.

• 7. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                      swmoore Level 1

Well.. I spoke too soon. It's crashing again. I open a clip in the source monitor then rename it. I can do this for maybe 2 clips then it crashes. These clips are 7 to 9 minutes long.

• 8. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                        jeremy d. Level 3

Can you describe the crash? Did Premiere just disappear, did you get a message, or did it just sit there with a spinning beach ball?

• 9. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                          swmoore Level 1

It just disappears. I created this project in cs4 and imported the video and so far it hasn't crashed. I get the spinning wheel, but no crashes.

• 10. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                            jeremy d. Level 3

Is the ball spinning while the media load?

Does the ball go away eventually?

Poof! with no warning gets you into an exclusive club, one with a very reluctant membership. Usually a few seconds after crashing, a dialog appears describing the crash and asking you to send a log.

• 11. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                              swmoore Level 1

I have had the spinning wheel first and where it just disappears. Before I switched to cs4, I couldn't do anything without it crashing. That's how bad it got. I'm going to work the project some in cs4 then try to open it in cs5.

I don't like being in this club.

• 12. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, but the program CAN crash. This will depend on the user's system, and the available resources. The Conforming can be system intensive, and if one is running a marginal system, trying to do editing (especially with Assets that have not yet Conformed), the entire system can crash.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe it's time to give us much more detail. This ARTICLE will give you tips on what information would be very useful in diagnosing the crashes.

Most crashes/hangs sort out this way:

System

Assets

Project/Sequence

OE

Bugs (at the very, very bottom of the list)

Good luck,

hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                    swmoore Level 1

Just thought I'd give an update. I created the project in cs4, imported the video files and saved. Created another project in cs5, imported cs4 project. CS5 is working fantastic! No delays in playback of source monitor or timeline even on my "marginal system". I believe the problem was in the way I started with my cs5 project, not waiting for indexing and conforming to complete before starting my edits.

• 15. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are working better now, and thank you for reporting.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - especially on a marginal system, DO let the Conforming complete (little blue progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI), as trying to edit, especially if one uses one of the elements, still being Conformed, can cause hangs, crashes and some odd behavior.

• 16. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                        dradeke Adobe Employee

Yes, glad to hear that things have resolved themselves.

Dennis

• 17. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                          sacha_G Level 1

I'm seeing CS5 sometimes lock up and spring a memory leak if you try anything during conform/peak generation too - not an issue with CS4.

• 18. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

It is highly recommended that one just allow Conforming and PEK file (Waveform Display) generation to complete. There is a little blue progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI. The time will depend on what one is starting with, its Duration and the power of the computer.

If one's computer is underpowered, system lockups can occur. If one tries to do anything with a file, while it is being Conformed, it is likely that the program will hang, or at best, the CFA file, and maybe the PEK file, will be truncated.

Wisdom holds that one should just Import, get a cup of coffee, and then the Conforming will be done, before you even drink that coffee - patience is a virtue, especially here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                              sacha_G Level 1

Whilst I understand where you're coming from, wisdom also holds that if it's a known problem that a crash will occur in a given situation then the software should surely either prevent that situation for occuring (e.g. don't do conforming in the background) or fix the bug that causes it to crash.

If it's not written in the manual then how are we to know what *not* to do...

Anyway, I don't think I'm an edge case - 12 core twin i7 with 12Gb RAM....

• 20. Re: Premiere pro cs5 crashing
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are your source files, and their Duration?

With DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, I can Import and still work (just not with those Assets yet) fine, on a much less powerful machine, with not glitches.

As I mentioned, there are three basic considerations: system, format/CODEC's and Duration.

For a Bug Report, use that link to file it.

From my perspective, it is closer to the case of:

Patient - "Dr., it hurts when I do this."

Doctor - "OK, don't do that."

Good luck,

Hunt