Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please STOP bundling McAfee with your Flash Player Update

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2010 Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us I.T. types for one reason or another have choosen

NOT to use McAfee in place of other (IMO better) products.  The McAfee scan product that you have bundled in

with your flash player updates install and leave files that interfere with the automatic updates for

Kaspersky.  After the Flash Product installes, I am then stuck visiting that machine in person running a special McAfee uninstall utility to remove McAfee even though it does NOT show up in the add/remove programs area of the control panel.  The flash updates do allow you to choose if you want McAfee installed, but unfortionatly, the default is to have that option checked.  For most unsuspecting corporate users, they don't see, care, or understand the impact of leaving that check box checked.  Please stop including that as part of the install.  For us corporate types trying to keep hundreds of computers working smoothly, we certainly don't need the automated headaches that McAfee brings with.

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filed a complaint with the  BBB as well as with a few virus scanning companies labeling the Adobe  Download Manager as malware. (I'm considering filing a complaint with the FTC, but I'm guessing it's not something that's really breaking any law.) Suck it Adobe.

I have also uninstalled the  Adobe Flash Player. HTML5 and Silverlight should do me just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this. I got yelled at by our IT department becuase of this silly McAfee program that was installed unbeknowst to me. I just completed another update of Flash and low and behold, this program was installed again! I didn't even have to option not to choose it. Unfortunately, I need flash for my job, so I have no choice but to install the update. Please stop doing this! I don't want this software on my computer nor does my IT department.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't auto-update flash.   select the flash player version you want to install and manually install it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kqlad is right. Any IT professional should know better than to install the auto updating version with the download manager. Also, your users shouldn't have rights to install updates or other programs if they don't know what they're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could uninstall Adobe Flash and just use Chrome for work and browsing. Chrome has a built in flash player of their own called Pepper Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your responses. I guess this is why I don't work in the IT department Well, I won't be using the auto installer again.

It still seems kind tricky and underhanded to bundle stuff like that. That's just me though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mozilla Firefox just updated itself without asking, and the first message it displays on completion is that I need to update my Flash Player.  I figure Firefox already committed me to the upgrade process, so I might as well see it through. I click the link to upgrade flash, and instead of loading flash, it installs the Adobe Download Manager. If I wanted another program to manage downloads on my computer, one would figure I would have installed it by now.

Committed to the update process, I go ahead and permit the Adobe Download Manager to be installed on my machine. The very first thing it does is installs McAffee Security Center on top of the various other Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware software already existant on my machine. I've been in IT for 25 years and let me assure you, IT DID NOT ASK. There was NO checkbox. There was NO opt out.

After all of Adobe and Adobe related trashware was installed on my machine, it finally installed the flash plugin it could have installed via the Mozilla Plugin interface without all the spam.

I figure Adobe already took the first thirty minutes of my productivity this morning, I might as well give them another 30 by posting this story on their websites, Mozillas, as well as about 10 other high SEO ranked forums.

To Adobe:

Whatever revenue you think you are generating by bundling such crap with your flash plugin, you are losing in bad PR. When the time comes to recommend a client install Corel suite vs Adobe CSX, this event will immediately come to mind. You are alienating your customers. While Flash may be somewhat of an industry standard, alternatives are gaining steam daily. Stop the unscrupulous business practices unless you want people to remove ALL of your software like the malware I just downloaded.

Regards,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.

@Adobe: Stop installing crapware.  You never asked my permission to install it.  You have violated my trust and it will be a long time before you will be forgiven.  I will now take any messages/updates I see from you with a grain of salt, and be very wary when allowing you access past UAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comments about knowing how to work around it are less than helpful. That's like telling someone how to fix a flat tire rather than working on preventing it in the first place. And anyone working in IT would also struggle with the fact that running Windows with permissions less than admin causes all sorts of issues except in cases of very basic needs. Further, not all networks have 100's of users running multiple servers and Active Directory and centralized policy management. As an added 'bonus', the most recent upgrades to Firefox will nicely direct you through an otherwise normal update that also adds McAfee. For all I know this little free app is reporting what I use to McAfee as it checks my system and that would certainly be none of their business!

I DON"T WANT THIS 'ADDITIONAL' STUFF FROM ANYONE - nor do most people I know.

This is simple.

NEVER bundle an application with another in this manner - especially as a default and with without option to not install. If you insist on offering these types of add-ons etc, a checkmark should alway be present in an UNCHECKED state so that the average user will not install it unknowingly. Adobe - or any other vendor (are you listening Java?) have NO right to install software on a user's computer without permission. An automatic install is clearly in violation of this and a pre-checked option is in poor taste - feeding on many who are not "IT" gurus.

PLEASE STOP IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really annoyed that it installed McAfee *without my permission*  I consider this a breach of my privacy - but I guess they have more money to spend on lawyers than I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that a company in this day and age still does this. I expect this kind of behavior from a shareware piece of crap software but cer

tainly not from a mainstream "Adobe" product.

I'm pretty good at "unselecting" options but I don't know how I missed this one. In other words, not only did I have to use your pathetic download manager... (My Firefox has a perfectly good download manager and add-on manager) but your program installed the VIRUS called McAfee Virus scanner WITHOUT my permission.

Keep that crap off of my machine if you do not want a class action suit.

If I'm required to use your download manager and install McAfee the next time I do a simple update then I'll certainly uninstall and never look back.

Get over yourselves, Adobe. Your time has come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have also suffered from the inadvertent installing of McAfee. It turns out that Adobe sneakily repositioned their checkbox for unchecking the McAfee install. It's bad enough that the checkbox is checked by default, but recently, they have resorted to moving the checkbox from the middle of the page (where the download and install button is) to the right side of the page (where most people do not glance when installing software). That was why I missed the checkbox. This is very misleading, as most people read from top-to-down in a webpage. I suspect Adobe moved the position for this reason. Anyways, I don't really have a solution, besides lingering on the page longer before installing Adobe software because you know they like to bundle McAfee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop the bundling: most of us don't need more bloatware on our systems (especially if we are running Adobe Creative Suites)!

This time I didn't unclick the install McAfee option quickly enough and now I'll have to uninstall the damn thing.

Annoyances such as this make me hope that newer web standards (and Apple) really will cause Flash to go away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with the uninstall.  If it does show up in the add/remove programs area in the control panel, the uninstall process doesn't totally clean it up.  You will need to run the McAfee Cleanup Utility in order to totally remove it so that other (non McAfee products such as Kaspersky) will properly install and work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already assumed that removing McFee might be ugly: System Restore failed (as usual) and McFee installed a start-up program which disabled Norton.

Thankfully on the McFee site there is actually a Flash tutorial on the proper use of the removal tool!

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

As others have reported, the removal tool does not always completely uninstall all traces of the McFee software. Even after I ran the removal tool twice, the start-up program was still loading on my XP system, so I had little choice but to go on a search-and-destroy mission in the registry.

I've uninstalled the Flash plugin from Firefox for now. If I find that I don't miss Flash, I'll consider removing it entirely from all my systems.

I haven't generally allowed software auto-updating, but I thought that I could trust Adobe: certainly not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe you shady louses.

check twitter. the community is not happy with you:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/mcafee%20and%20flash

your image is being shattered. seriously do you have any concept of how annoying this is on top of Flash CS5 corrupting files?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am raging mad. Let me get this straight now adobe.... your freewares are so full of holes  and vulnerabilities that you bundled the worst anti-virus on the market  with it, causing more instablity? Mcafee is garbage, it will seriously conflict with many networks and/or other anti virus.

It's bad enough that adobe bloats my system with its acrotray and its copy protection and its DLM... all that is ridiculous enough, but THIS crosses the line way too far. Ninja installing a 3rd parties software on my system is a SERIOUS breach of trust.

I've dumped thousands of dollars into this company between CS and fonts etc etc. To get blind sided by a flash update is beyond comprehension.

WTF were you thinking install team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed!

adobe, whatever deal you cut w/ mcafee could not possibly make up for the loss in credibility you took by doing this. I have many client machines to keep track of, and I now get dozens of calls asking me what to do w/ the raft of crap mcaffee drags along with it.

so pull it! and fire the marketing type who pushed for it in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I am furious at Adobe for forcing software onto PCs without permission!

You have no right to do this just to line your own pockets with McAfee's money.

None of the  McAfee products are well written nor stable. I just did a remote service call,

the second this week to remove the McAfee jump from a clients PC.

What does it take - lawsuits?  I am sure they are coming and I would participate.

If you are going to include this crap on an update your should have that box un-checked

and let the client iot in if they wish. I am a computer professional and I am forced to use some of your products.

I do not like being forced to use 3rd party software that you push! Shame on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with you!  I just updated flash on a new install and got tricked into installing this McAfee garbage!  Adobe, I thought you were a better company than this!  McAfee products are the last thing(s) I want on my computer and you have stooped to a new LOW!!!  Please stop this practice because it is not good business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately many companies are not aware of the their customers  expectations and that due to a new generation coming up, how their  habits is changing the demands of the market.

With new providers coming up seeing those demands and being willing to adapt to those I believe we will see a lot of large well established companies go away in the near future. Seeing a large company as ADOBE pulling cheeky ones when my Mozilla tries to update has ruined my impression of this company to be a 100% trusted company. THANKS FOR WASTING 40 MINUTES OF MY MORNING ADOBE!

Believing  that ones name and position in the market alone is enough to substain  ones share is not a approach I believe is long lived, there is simply to  many examples of it not being enough. to only ref one example Sony vs  iPod.

Why would ADOBE ever think that it was a good idea to bullshit crap on to their customers PC's?  Unbelievable! Who ever came up with that idea should be fired before he costs ADOBE more customer relationships. Who ever made that decision is not keeping up with the rest of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the automatic updater is bad enough. I have the sense not to run as admin -- and I have UAC off for very good reasons. Every so often the Adobe garbage attempts to update itself when I boot up. Since I usually start right off in my lowly luser account, all I can do is tell it to eff off. The damnfool thing can't install diddly without admin privileges. Same thing at work, on the computer that visitors are allowed to use for e-mail, research, and teaching. USELESS!

I loathe and despise McAfee. You couldn't pay me to use it. But that is beside the point. Foistware is foistware. Give us a clean product or pretty soon there will be enough open source alternatives to kick your butt off the planet.

As for trust...I don't trust Adobe enough to give my real name, much less an e-mail addy that I use for practical things. Live with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and then shockwave player wants to bunldle Norton by default. Now when theres a flash update i have to visit each user, log off, log in as admin, run the update carefully... thanks for using up time that the IT doesnt really need anyway, Adobe.

Adobe Pro and PDF printing capabilities have been removed and replaced with Bullzip, for free even. Goodbye Adobe. I hope developers never use flash again and I wont have to deal with your blunderware at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely stop the bundling. It is an imposition, unasked for, and sneaky. Beyond that it is dangerous because McAfee, without giving any warning, disabled my exisiting antivirus software.

This is no way for Adobe to behave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines