3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2007 9:21 AM by ntsiii

MS Access like forms

Jason_Sh
      Hello Flex gurus. I am wondering if there is a way to create forms in Flex that have similar functionality to MS Access forms as follows:
      1. Continuous data form entry with forward and backward scrolling of items entered in the current session
      2. Populate one form field based on entry in another (DLookup function in Access)
      3. Subforms

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
        • 1. Re: MS Access like forms
          ntsiii Level 3
          None of that is built into Flex, but all of it is dooable. It has been 15 years or more since I have done any Access and I don't recall exactly what a subform does.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: MS Access like forms
            Jason_Sh Level 1
            Subforms provide great functionality from a data entry UI standpoint. You can provide related query results to aid in data entry, you can enter data into multiple tables from one form, etc. All very useful when it comes to higher volume data entry applications.

When you say doable, you mean using ActionScript right? I can see using sessions, event handlers, and HTTPService to create the desired functionality. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your insights, they are greatly appreciated!

Jason
            • 3. Re: MS Access like forms
              ntsiii Level 3
              "Doable" using Flex.

Typically Flex application do not use sessions because they can maintain state on the client.

Once loaded a Flex app never refreshes the browser, just uses HTTPService, etc to communicate with the server-side functionality.

Tracy