9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 2:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help

Mr Nielsen

Hi

QUESTION 1

I´m a complete newbie to premiere elements. I have imported some .mts files and some .avi files from my digital HD camera....when I create a project all available move clips appear in my project to become possible to drag into my project timeline ..BUT it´s only the .avi´s that are being presented with a "snapshot image" of the clip, all .mts movies are just presented with a blue-ish standard icon and this gives me a hard time knowing exactelly which clip I should pick without having to open the movie.

blue_icon.png

I hope this is just a setting or can someone tell me why i cant spot an "image" representation from the .mts file to makes it easier to spot what the content of the file/s are ?

QUESTION 2

Can someone give me some words about how to best structure moveies and images on the file system and also "inside" elements. I have two physical disks, one large 1TB disk and one smaller 80 GB SSD disk. How should I think here...all media on the "slower" disk and only the premiere software on teh faster SSd disk ?

QUESTION 3

In the end, after editing movies, of course I would be able to present the material in the best format possible which I guess is blue-ray...but to be able to create a project that will make it possible to output a blue ray format, I have understood that I need to apply some sort of add on to my premiere installation, is that correct and if so - how can I do this and also from where do I get this add-on/plugin ?

Based upon my camera files (.mts), I would like to use my PS3 to present the finished material, can you give me some sort of step by step guidance to how to setup the project. SHould I use the .mts files and edit these, or should I perhaps convert them to something else and then make my movie ?? As you can hear I´m pretty confused about all these formats and what to do to make the end result as good as it can get

I´m not really sure about my initial recording either..I have a Canon HF10 recorder, and as far as I know to be able to get teh best quality for my "raw" material I need to use a format selection called "FXP" on the camera ? Does someone know if this is the best to use (perhaps a stupid question since i guess this will differ a lot between camera models perhaps) ?

REALLY would appreciate help on these above questions to be able to know the starting point....

Hope to get some answers that will help me up & running in a while...

Thanks

Helmut

• 1. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Helmut,

Welcome to the forum.

Here are some basic guidelines:

1.) In New Project, you will want to choose a Project Preset that matches your source footage 100%. In this case, it appears that you have two types of source footage, the MTS and the AVI (more on these later). I would choose, probably the MTS and use the specifications of those to establish the Project Preset. Then, and depending on the specs. of the AVI files, you may need to convert those to match the MTS files.

2.) With only 2 HDD's, you are limited in how you allocate things. In your case, your C:\ will have the OS, the programs and the Page File. Then, set up your media, your Projects and your Scratch Disks on the larger HDD. Better would be a physical (not a partition) HDD, just for media, but in your case, you do not have that option. On your larger HDD, I would do a folder for each of your Projects, with sub-folder for your necessary Assets, and let PrE locate the Scratch Disks "Same As Project."

3.) As for the creation of your BD (Blu-ray Disk), you do not need any add-ons. You can edit your Project, add your navigation (Menu/Chapter Markers), choose your Menu Sets, Preview and then Burn to Disc. Those should play in your PS3, though I have no experience with those units.

Now, back to your MTS and AVI files. Download and install the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and use it to tell you all of the various attributes of the MTS and AVI files. Let us know what G-Spot tells you, and someone can help you choose the proper Preset. Also, see this ARTICLE for some background on file formats.

Steve Grisetti has a series of articles on PrE, called Basic Training, plus an entire Learning Series, several books, and more, on Muvipix.com. I highly recommend those, especially when starting out with PrE.

Good luck, and let us know all about those MTS and AVI files.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, just to give you the basics, why not check out my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at Muvipix.com.

We've also got lots of more advanced tutorials, and my books -- available on the site and on Amazon.com -- will likely answer 98% of your questions. (Trust me. it's much easier than asking questions, one by one, on this forum.)

Here are some of my books.

• 3. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Trust me. it's much easier than asking questions, one by one, on this forum.

Steve,

But is it half as much fun???

Hunt

PS - what can you offer Helmut on the Organizer question? I do not use that, so have no clue.

• 4. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                Mr Nielsen Level 1

HI Hunt and thaks for your answer.....some follow up questions though..

1. I didnt really get how to change from showing the .mts instead of .avi as default. As you can see in my embedded screenshot from my initial post, the .mts files jsut show up with this enoying blue default image instead of teh "frst scene snapshot" of that particular movie. Can you tell me exactelly where and how to change this setting to allow me to see the .mts as the default format

2. For me, is the best way to edit right in the .mts files ( is this the best quality file format from the HD camera by the way) when creating the movies, or should I change/convert to another format before starting to add the clips to my project timeline ?

3. Again when it comes to the project settings..if the media files should reside on teh "slower" and bigger HDD what disk should I reference the media cache and the virtual memory

Thanks

Helmut

• 5. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                  Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for the recomendations..I will take a look

Cheers

Helmut

• 6. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I do have articles on the Organizer on Muvipix.com, as you can see here -- but they're for subscribers only.

On the other hand, my books cover it pretty extensively -- especially the combined Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements book. The Organizer includes a file management system, a metadata system, a system for backing up files online, a system for generating automatic metadata quality tags for the Premiere Elements Smart Fix tool and about 30 Fix, Create and Share tools, including tools for creating slideshows, mailing HTML documents and even for creating perfectly legal, custom-designed US postage stamps!

• 7. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot address the display of the thumbnails in Organizer, as I do not use it, and know almost zero about it - except what I read here, or in Steve's articles.

As for the editing, if the MTS files are editing fine for you, then there should be no need to convert to anything else. Since the MTS files are MPEG (the format of many HD files), they are already compressed, so usually the less that you do, the better. Were it me, and were I having any editing issues, I'd think about converting to HDV.

Now, what about those AVI files?

Good luck, and hope that someone else can help you with the Organizer issue. Sorry that it's not something, about which, I know anything.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                        Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hunt, thanks again for your answer, I will try to look into the organizer issue

in other ways, thinking about looking into the books suggested by Steve..

Something else I guess you can guide me through though is the different formats...jsut to mention, I basically dont know a thing about different movie formats, the only thing I know is that I have a HDdigital video recorder (Canon HF10) and that the files I copy across to my machine is of this .mts format...

should I make another setting on my video camera to get another format of the files I record and the files I then transfer to my computer..remember I´m a total newbie so when you mention that you should have converted to HDV - this does not say me anything unfortunatelly....could you in any easy watell me the basic things I should know....when I created my project in premiere I was asked to select what kind of project settings I wanted to have...for this selection a number of different formats was possible and I jsut picked one of them basically wthout knowing what I was doing.....kind of frustrating since I want to make the best qualty output from my movies and also the edited output from premiere...

Is it possible to give some easily understood intro and what small things I should always do......like when selecting the project "media" or what specific setting to check that are important on the video camera itself.....what is the best/highest quality format to work with/edit to get the best output from my finished medias etc

Apprecite your help a lot

Thanks

Helmut

• 9. Re: Premiere newbie would appreciate and be very happy for some "get-started" help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Helmut,

You pose a lot of questions:

Basically, if one can either Capture, or Import footage from their camera and edit that, it will be better, than converting. If they cannot, then conversion should be considered.

As for Project Presets, they should be chosen with great care, and be based on the source footage.

To go beyond, and in much more detail, Steve Grisetti has created a Basic Training Series for PrE, and I highly recommend it. Just as with his books on PrE, he covers a lot of bases, and will help get one up to speed in a hurry.

Good luck,

Hunt