6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 5:18 PM by the_wine_snob

Creating Text Effects in Premier

vooray1 Level 1
        • 1. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

I am not sure what Text Effects you are referring to. About all that I saw were Lower-Third Titles fading in. Did I miss something, or is that what you are looking to do?

If so, you can create Lower-Thirds in Titler, or even use some of the included Templates for such. Then, just Keyframe Opacity, or just add a Cross-Dissolve Transition to the Title.

If I missed something, please just point me to where I should be looking.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
            vooray1 Level 1

Thank you Bill.  Is Titler part of Premier or do I need to download it separately?  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Titler is very much a part of PrPro. It is a sub-app., and has its own suite of editing Panels. I keep mine open (often offset behind my Program Monitor), but if you Dbl-click an existing Title, or go to Title>New, it will open. You have a couple of toolboxes, Styles, etc.. For what you are asking (if I got it right), you would choose Title>New>Based on Template, and then navigate to a sub-folder (probably something like "Lower-Thirds"), where you would have many different ones to choose from. One can create them easily too, with the Shapes in the toolbox. Lots of neat "image editing" features there and it's already inside PrPro. Now, I often use PS for this, as it does offer a bit more control, but Titler is neat.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
                vooray1 Level 1

Thank you Bill. Is there anyway to just get a black template or to change colors of existing templates?

• 5. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The colors can be set in Titler. When you create a Shape, say a horizontal rectangle, just look to the right, with that rectangle Selected, and choose Fill. I'd set it to a very, very dark gray, which will look black on the TV.

If you wish to get 'creative," you might want to think about doing that construction in Photoshop, as you have many, many more options and more control. still, Titler is a powerful little guy. With a bit of thinking, you can do some nifty Gradients and the like.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Creating Text Effects in Premier
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the Titler in PrPro, and one of the Titles is Selected. You can see some of the aspects of Titler, and I've shown the drop-down for Gradient Fill, though in my case, I did a very, very light gray. As you can see from the Timeline, there are other things happening, and the Text is actually on another Title, as it gets animated to fly into the area of the Shape, which also has some Fades to it. Still, you should get an idea of what can be done.

Titler_PrPro.jpg

You can also see the toolboxes in Titler (to the left of this image) and the Styles Library below.

Hope that helps,

Hunt