5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 6:45 PM by Bill Gehrke

Premiere Pro CS4 - Hardware Question

Joe3803

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to do some HD editing with Premiere Pro CS4.  I am familiar with the program and have used it to edit SD but am looking to step up into HD.  I am currently using a Kodak Zi8 pocket cam that will record in 1080P and also 720P60fps.  However, I tried to do a little editing on my machine and it is NOT up to par.  Haha!

I am willing to invest in my PC to bring it up to par to be able to smoothly edit my HD footage (and I plan on acquiring a better camera soon as well, maybe even a 5D MK II, as I have a 5D and am looking for an excuse to upgrade) but I want to spend my money where it will be most useful.

Here is my system as it is now...

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 MHz

Windows 7 32 bit (and I also have 64 bit if needed)

3 GB DDR2 RAM

ATI All in Wonder Video Card (Not sure what chipset this uses)

500 GB WD 7200 RPM HDD

Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3 Motherboard

I know I have some options like increasing RAM, getting better video card (9800 GT or GT 250, etc) setting up another HDD for scratch disk, even 2 as RAID 0, but I am not sure what is going to be best bang for my buck as far as perfomance.  Or maybe I need to do all these things...and if the video card is something that I need to upgrade, which is recommended?  There are so many, and I do not do much gaming, so whatever would work for editing.

Thanks in advance for your help.