8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 8:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Unwanted block on menu template

Del Capslock

I dragged the Grid menu template into my project. It has boxes for the dvd title, for play, and for scenes. But there is also an extra block that seems to have no purpose. I can select it but cannot delete it. Is this just a buggy template or is there some way to get rid of this extra block?

• 1. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're talking about the elements I think you're talking about, the only way I know to remove it is to edit the original DVD template. (They're PSD files, so you can edit them with Photoshop Elements.)

As I show you in my books, you'll find the templates in C:/PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/DVD TEMPLATES

• 2. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The elements that you are seeing might well be extra Buttons, that may, or may not come into play, when you do the authoring. That will depend on the Markers that you have set. Do you see this initially, or do you see blank Buttons, when you Preview?

As a bit of background, PrE uses a Menu Set, which is a pair of PSD (Photoshop's native Layered format) files, one for the Main Menu and one for Scene Selection Menu(s). Each has pre-made Buttons on them, and they cover most possibilities. Unused Buttons are deleted automatically, when one goes to actually author the Project. An example of this is the Previous and Next Buttons on the Scene Selection Menus. If one has enough Chapter Markers to need three Scene Selection Menus, the first one will not have a Previous Button, and only a Main Menu Button, as there is no "previous" Scene Selection Menu to navigate to. The second will have both a Previous and a Next Button. The last will only have the Previous Button, as there is no Next Scene Selection Menu to navigate to. This is done for you by PrE. That is why I am asking where you are seeing these elements.

Can you do a screen-cap, pointing to the elements in question? I only have PrE 4, and no Grid Menu Set. I do not know if PrE 7 had that Menu, or not, and it might be just available in PrE 8, which not everyone has. Point to the elements, so we can see what you are referring to.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
              Del Capslock Level 1

Below is the menu from an authored dvd:

Clip1.jpg

Here is an image of the template:

matrix_hd_mm copy.jpg

It seems the Main Menu button does not go away even though it is not needed?

• 4. Re: Unwanted block on menu template

As I said, you can easily remove it by opening the PSD file in Photoshop Elements!

• 5. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
                  Del Capslock Level 1

How would I do that? I brought the file up in PSE, right-clicked the box and selected Delete Layer. Only the text disappeared!

• 6. Re: Unwanted block on menu template

I don't have the PSD file open so I can't say for sure.

Is the graphic you want to remove separate from the background or is it an individual graphic that you can just select and remove?

If it's part of the background or part of larger layer of graphics, it could be challenging to remove it.

• 7. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With Menus, the Buttons are Layer Sets. Each Button has the requisite Layers in those Sets. In the Layers Palette, you will just need to Select the appropriate Layer Set (graphics, Sub-picture Highlight, etc.) and then Delete that Layer Set.

If necessary, you can "find" the graphics, and Sub-picture Highlights, by turning Visibility ON/OFF (poking out the eyeball, and then restoring it).

I am not familiar with PSE, as I only use PS, but things should still be approximately the same, as the structure of Menus is common. The only difference with Menus in PrE and Encore (Adobe's full-featured authoring app.) is that in Encore, one needs the exact number of Scene Selection Menus required for the Project, while in PrE, you've got Menu Sets, and PrE will create the number of Scene Selection Menus, and clean up unused Buttons on the last one - all automatically.

When editing Menus in their Menu Sets for PrE, I strongly recommend working on Copies, and having them in a separate Sub-folder from the supplied Functional Content, so that the originals are NOT altered in any way. If one alters the originals, things may not work correctly, when they are used next.

Also, I do not have that Menu Set, so cannot point you to the exact Button Layer Set to Delete.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unwanted block on menu template
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When editing Menu Sets, the links in this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt