5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 9:48 AM by ERWest

CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3

ERWest Level 1

I've got a design that I'm having to export to Illustrator 3 in order to run it through an embroidery CAD program.  Problem is that there are some clipping masks in the file and that doesn't translate going back to 3.  Is there anything I can do before I export it to the 3 in order to "trim away" the invisible parts of the mask to where it doesn't "confuse" the CAD program?

• 1. Re: CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ERWest,

You may do the dirty deed and:

1) Create a path enclosing the tile;

2)  Select everything and Object>Clipping Mask>Make;

3) In the  Transparency palette/panel dropdown tick something other than Normal;

4)  Object>Flatten Transparency (default settings including 100%  vector).

Or you may look at proper solutions, as mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2851700

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3
            PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Will the embroidery digitising program accept a PDF? If so you might want to save as PDF and try this file format.

• 3. Re: CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3
              ERWest Level 1

No, the program will not accept PDFs.  It tends to like either Coral(which I don't use) or Ai.  It will accept JPGs, BMPs, and all that as well, but as far as I can tell the two file formats it really likes are Coral and Ai.  Only problem is that it really only likes 3 out of all the legacy formats that I can do.  Last ditch effort was going to be exporting it as a jpg and see how well the auto digitizing did with that.  However, I was able to get it to read through pretty good with the 4 step set of instructions that Jacob typed up.

Clipping masks and using gradients tend to be the two biggest things that the CAD program doesn't like.  Things that make an Illustrator file look neat, but it just "confuses" the CAD program when trying to do embroidery with it.

Thanks to both for the help.  I do appreciate it.

• 4. Re: CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try expanding the gradient before using the Flatten Transparency. It will make a blend of the colors as solid bands and may help with the export.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS4 to Legacy Format Illustrator 3
                  ERWest Level 1

I'll have to give that a shot.  Thanks for the help on that.  I had this one image that had a nice gradient for eyes, but it just really confused the CAD software to no end.  I'll try to dig up that file and try that out.  Thanks.