6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 1:29 PM by Todd_Kopriva

If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?

M_G6 Level 1

I get that AE is a motion graphics creator/editor, but can you not also do video editing with it? And if so, then what is the need for Premiere, or Final Cut? Am I missing something?

Thanks-

• 1. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE is not a editor, it's a compositing and motion graphics app. You build shots, sometimes sequences, occasionally scenes in AE but you edit sequences in to scenes which are combined into acts that make up a move in a NLE like Premiere Pro or Final Cut.

If you only are making 30 second videos then AE may be a usable tool, but if you're putting together a film that is 10 minutes or longer then you'll want a NLE.  I just cut an hour television movie, it had more than 900 cuts in 44 minutes. Of the more than 900 shots 184 were that were fixed, composited, or in other ways enhanced in AE then placed back in the timeline for final edit. Some of the AE projects had 20 or more layers.

We went through 6 recuts of the entire picture before the picture was locked. In and out points were slipped, performances were changed out, entire sequences were re-ordered and we kept rearranging the order of the scenes so the story worked better. I didn't keep track of the recuts of the individual scenes in the movie. Once the picture was locked there were 4 revisions for the sound mix, then 3 color passes to complete the film. Making a movie with NLE - hard but doable. Making a move entirely in AE is nuts....

• 2. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects is for motion graphics, compositing, and visual effects. It is not good for taking a long piece of media (say, an entire day's shooting) and cutting it up into pieces and then putting those pieces together with other pieces to make a finished movie. That's what a video editor like Premiere Pro is for.

Here's a quote from After Effects Help that says kinda the same thing:

"Adobe Premiere Pro is designed to capture, import, and edit movies. After Effects is designed to create motion graphics, apply visual effects, composite visual elements, perform color  correction, and perform other post-production tasks for movies."

Another way of thinking of it is that Premiere Pro is about the assembly of footage into a timeline. After Effects is about the appearance of the images in such a timeline. An After Effects user will spend a lot of time on each frame; a Premiere Pro user is zipping through a lot frames in a very short time. That's a gross oversimplification, but that's a rough division. There is lots of overlap, of course.

If you want to see why both programs exist try to rotoscope in Premiere Pro and then try to cut together a narrative 90-minute movie in After Effects. You will not be happy. Then do it the other way. You'll be happy.

• 3. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I see that Rick and I were typing at the same time. I'm glad that we agree. (Rick is almost always right, so agreeing with Rick is a good sign that you're on the right track.)

• 4. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Am I missing something?

Yes! You have never worked on a "serious" film production. As Rick and Todd explained, nobody would do "editing" in AE for technical and practical reasons - when you deal with several hours of raw footage and need to review them for a rough cut, that possibly can't be done in an efficient manner by having to invest equally as much time waiting for RAM previews. And then all the other stuff for ingest, audio editing, media management, playout and whatnot...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
                  M_G6 Level 1

QUOTE: Yes! You have never worked on a "serious" film production./QUOTE

Well you have that quite right! I'm coming from a background of Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and web. And now I want to delve into motion graphics and video editing, and so I am literally at square one with it (unless, heh, you count the use of iMovie!)

On a side note, I think it is a bit misleading of Adobe, however, to use "video editing" as a selling point for AE (see http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/video_editors/), when in fact you are informing me it's really not the right choice for editing.

I purchased AE CS4, and just got my free upgrade to version CS5, so I am quite certain I will be making a pest of myself on these forums.

So what's everyone's preference between Premiere and Final Cut? Where should I throw my money?

Thanks again-

• 6. Re: If AE does Video editing, then why Premiere?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> On a side note, I think it is a bit misleading of Adobe, however, to use "video editing" as a selling point for AE (see http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/video_editors/), when in fact you are informing me it's really not the right choice for editing.

The way that I read that page is that it's telling video editors that it's easy to use After Effects _together with_ a video editing program like Premiere Pro.

So what's everyone's preference between Premiere and Final Cut? Where should I throw my money?

Premiere Pro works very well with After Effects. They're very tightly integrated, especially if you buy them together as part of a suite. I'd recommend upgrading to Production Premium rather than buying Premiere Pro separately. It makes sense in terms of price, and you get some features like Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro and After Effects that are only available with the suite.