8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 4:10 AM by dradeke

Keyframes Not Smooth

J@eson Level 1

Hello,

I'm newly working with Premiere, I haven't used it in a few years because I've been working with Final Cut.

But I'm having a problem with keyframes.  I don't know if it is just not smooth or if its a glitch but my motion through keyframes bounce and are jittery.

Here is a video clip of it.

http://www.vimeo.com/12830032

I've messed with the bezier settings and nothing will render smooth.  Any ideas?

-Jaeson

• 1. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That example indicates to me that the Keyframes are not properly applied, hence the creep.

Can you please post a screen-cap of your Effects Control Panel, showing the Keyframes clearly? I'd also post a separate screen-cap for each Keyframed Effect. That might be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
            J@eson Level 1

Keyframe spec.JPG

keyframe spec2.JPG
            Work?

• 3. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It will not solve your keyframes issue, but help overall performance significantly: TURN OFF the SIDEBAR!!!!

• 4. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at the Keyframes, all I see are Hold Keyframes. I would not do things with the Hold Keyframes, but that is me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not seeing Hold keyframes...? They look like regular ol' Bezier keyframes to me.

My guess is that you need to set spatial (not temporal) interpolation to linear, from the default Bezier. With spatial (that is, position) changes, the Bezier interpolation can create some pretty weird and usually undesired side effects.

Beyond that, the effects you're using might be causing the problem. I've often had trouble getting Basic 3D to animate cleanly; at times it will just throw random garbage frames into the mix, completely inexplicably. Also, if you turn off the Bevel Alpha and Drop Shadow effects, do you get the same result? I've noticed some oddities and unexpected behavior with some of the effects that modify clip alpha channels, as those do.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When I looked closely, they appeared to be Hold Keyframes to me. Now, they are visually truncated as they are on the first Frame, but maybe my old eyes are just tired.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

help overall performance significantly: TURN OFF the SIDEBAR!!!!

I won't argue against turning it off, but it uses so little resources that doing so will likely result in no noticeable difference in performance.  At least that's my experience.

• 8. Re: Keyframes Not Smooth
                        dradeke Adobe Employee

Hey Jaeson,

Welcome to Premiere Pro and the forum.  Your problem is an interesting one.

In looking at the clip, I would suggest that you try and achieve the same look by keyframing scale and not the distance parameter.  does that make it any cleaner?

Dennis

1 person found this helpful