5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 10:04 AM by Steve Grisetti

Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL

k4lcd

Hi!

Last week, i purchased my first camcorder, ever a Cannon Vixia HF R100 and yesterday received Adobe Premiere Elements 8 software. I'm 72 years old, retired, and need some help to get started. Have a nice Quattro computer, Windows 7, etc...

I live near Baptist Hospital in SW Miami, FL.

Sincerely and thanks,

Juan

• 1. Re: Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Juan,

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure where you need to go for a tutor, but you might look into some community college courses.

Now, I have to recommend several books, all by our tireless MOD, Steve Grisetti. It's obviously not quite the same as a personal tutor, but having seen some of the work done by those, in both this forum and with PrPro, the success can depend on the actual tutor. Some can be good, but some have some very odd ideas and teachings. All of Steve's books, plus many articles from his Basic Training through his many Learning Series articles are available on Muvipix.com. I have been editing major productions for longer than Steve has been alive, so have a very good background, though most was in cine, rather than video, especially digital video, but I love his books, and always learn something new, at each reading.

I do have to admit that I am more of a "book person," but have been teaching Photoshop, since it first hit the PC, decades ago. I still feel that a good, well-written book, is better than a personal tutor, though I have acquired that role for Photoshop in the past. With a book, one can reflect back on the lessons, and the info. If one is busy doing, with a tutor, they often do not have good enough notes to go back to.

Good luck, and I wish that I had a resource for you in the Miami area.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL
            k4lcd Level 1

Thank you Hunt and good morning.

This morning, I started early to try to tackle this new challenge, Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and I'm making some progress.

I began by learning to navigate in Edit mode up and down the timeline  and I was able to insert all different transitions between each of the 60 clips of the initial project which has approximately 44,735 frames. I also created an opening title...

But a tutor, would speed things up. It's still early and I'm sure some young person, perhaps a high school student..., with a lot of skills, experience and  wisdom, can help me and perhaps I can help him too...

In the mean time, this still is not, yet, a piece of cake.

Anyway, I am  glad to to jave joined this distinguished forum.

Sincerely and thanks,

Juan

• 3. Re: Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I hope you will follow the link Hunt posted above, Juan. My free tutorial series will get you a long way toward understanding how the program works.

You may also find my books helpful! They're available on Amazon.com.

• 4. Re: Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL
                k4lcd Level 1

Thank you Steve and Good morning.

I just registered at your interesting forum an visited your web site. I'll have to spend more time on it.

Sincerely yours,

Juan

• 5. Re: Newbie,  looking for home tutoring at SW Miami FL
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great news, Juan! Let us know here -- or on the Muvipix forum -- if you've got any specific questions, once you've been through the tutorials.

(BTW, if you buy a subscription to the site, you can access dozens of more tutorials -- including my Intermediate Training series, which goes even deeper into the program's features.)