I thought the feature of allowing the user to change skins
would be neat. So I created a folder called styles, and moved a few
styles provided with flex builder, and a few from scale nine into
the folder and right mouse button clicked on them to compile them.
Everything went swimmingly until I needed to compile a module in
It now will take between 3 & 5 (and longer) minutes to
compile the application. It spends most of it's time "Building
Workspace" at or around 40%. The CPU ranges around 15-20% of a P4
3.0 ghz Hyperthreading 1.5gb memory computer. The application path
is on a server with a 100mbps link that averages about 7-10%
utilization while the compile is running.
This application has one main application and two modules,
and a few classes such as SuperPanel, and MaskedTextInput and about
8 css files.
What can I do to resolve this problem?
BTW I am a slow typist, and I started a "clean" compile
before typing this message, and it is still running.
How big is your project?
Our is around 1 meg (pure text AS + MXML) and it takes 5-6
minutes to recompile it. Even with a small change it takes 2-3
minutes. Mainly it hangs in 60% saying "building workspace".
When the project reached the size of 0.5Mb installation of a
second Gb (total 2Gb) of RAM really helped as JVM size grows bigger
then the available physical memory and it starts swapping
PS I don't understand why the JVM size depends on the number
of compilations. It grows from 250Mb to 1.3Gb after every
compilation and then stays there at 1.3Gb mark.
I have temporarily resolved the problem. It was two-fold;
1) I had added the aforementioned css files, so I moved them
, and will add them back when I get closer to production,
2) I had copied a large number of icons (1,200+) into the
application path, and even though I was not referencing any of them
it slowed the compilation to a crawl. I moved them out, and will
add the ones I need as I need them.