2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 10:18 AM by kabhatta

Re: dynamic creation of associative arrays

kabhatta

Hi, I need some advise on the following problem. I'm developing code that allows me to copy & paste a spreadsheet into a TextArea and parse the pasted text to dynamically generate a DataGrid. I assume that the first line of the text contains the headers for each column, parse the line and dynamically generate the columns for the DataGrid. Now I need a way to generate each rown of the DataGrid from the rest of the lines. The issue I am struggling with (new to Flex) is the following. I believe I have to create an associative array of the following form:

var asArray:Object = {col1:"value1", col2:"value2", etc}

The problem is that all Column names are in one array and each value is stored in another array. How do I dynamically create a construct that will

lead me to represent one row in a DataGrid as described in asArray? In other words, is there a way to dynamically generate a statement as the one above?

Appreciate your help!

kb

• 1. Re: dynamic creation of associative arrays
          MikisMM Level 2

If I understand correctly you manage to parse all your data to two types of arrays:

var columns:Array = {"column1", "column2", ...}

var rowValues:Array = {<value1>, <value2>", ...}

So as you can see I assume that each value in rowValues array has corrseponding column name in columns array. So you can construct your "associative array" (actually thats just a simple object) like this:

var rowObject:Object = new Object();

for (var i:int = 0; i < rowValues.length; i++) {

rowObject[colums[i]] = rowValues[i];

}

The core of the loop is the third line and the use of square brackets on an object.

• 2. Re: dynamic creation of associative arrays
            kabhatta Level 1

Thanks for the quick and correct response, appreciate it.