13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 12:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Forms

Wordman-GL Level 1
      Hello again. for any who remember me and my numerous inquiries here, let me say I have made great progress, yes, Murray, I now code most everything by hand with about a 70/30 code to display ratio. Thanks to you all for helping me get this far.

Now, I have built a small brochure-type site for a friend's company. He wanted a form, so I created a basic form using a table and using the type of form that emails the information to his address.

I didn't use CSS to build the form (yet) because I knew NOTHING of how to make a form when I started. I also have no idea where to begin with PHP, using the server database, etc., so what I created was the easiest thing for me to get up and running.

THE QUESTION: When I view the form pages, I get question marks in between the tables. Nothing int he code suggests any clue...the URL for the 3 form pages are as follows: www.i-charger.com/contact_2.html, /contact_3.html and /contact_4.html

I get it in Firefox and MSIE. Please help, I am finally learning this stuff and it is sinking in. You have all been a great help. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wordman
        • 1. Re: Forms
          Level 7
          On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:50:42 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> THE QUESTION: When I view the form pages, I get question marks in between the
          >tables. Nothing int he code suggests any clue...the URL for the 3 form pages
          >are as follows: www.i-charger.com/contact_2.html, /contact_3.html and
          >/contact_4.html

Not Murray, but looking at the first page, I see this in the source:

<input name="phonenumber" type="text" id="phonenumber"
          size="30" maxlength="100">
          </label>
          </p>
          </fieldset>?</td>

And this:

<option value="green">Alternate fuels (green)</option>
          </select>
          </label>
          </fieldset>?</td>

And this:

<textarea name="comments" cols="30" rows="3"
          id="comments"></textarea>
          </label>
          </fieldset>?</td>
          </tr>

You have a question mark between the closing </fieldset> tag and the
          closing </td> tag in all three instances. That explains the three
          question marks I see on the page.
          • 2. Re: Forms
            Wordman-GL Level 1
            Gary,

Thanks a mint. For everyone else who may have followed this as well, let me offer a further mystery.

I did this in DW8. I checked the source code after pulling up the page in MSIE. Guess what? No '?' between the tags as you found, but there is a blank space. BUT when I viewed the source code in Firefox, I see a diamond shape with a ? inside it, just as it appears in the page when viewed in Firefox.

When I view the code in DW8, there is a space between the tags, but no '?'

Anyone know why this happens?

Well, after going through the code in DW8, I removed the blank space between the tags, reloaded the pages, and in MSIE, no more '?'. Same for Firefox.

Again, anyone have a clue as to what happened here? The blank space in DW8 turning into some random character? And why only viewable in source code through firefox? (That last part I think I can answer, Firefox tends to find bad syntax that MSIE lets slip by).

Gary, you found the problem, so many thanks. I would love to know about the weird blank-space-that-becomes-a-? though.

Could it be a character set or font issue?

You are all wonderful human beings.

Sincerely,

Wordman
            • 3. Re: Forms
              bregent Most Valuable Participant
              Character Encoding mismatch!

The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (utf-8) is different from the value in the <meta> element (iso-8859-1). I will use the value from the HTTP header (utf-8) for this validation.
              • 4. Re: Forms
                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                You should also think about redoing the site with text, rather than all in images. Search engines wont find anything on your site to index.
                • 5. Re: Forms
                  Wordman-GL Level 1
                  bregent,

Many thanks. I'll keep an eye on the encoding vs. meta element.

Here's the deal with the image sas opposed to using CSS-controlled text: The sites I do are all graphic-heavy and do not have loads of text to update. It may sound amateurish, but it makes my life a whole lot easier.

Your mention of a lack of indexing is a valid point, so I respectfully ask if I can do it with keywords instead?

I have done most everything in my power to embrace CSS and move with the way that programming is headed. I know that using formatted text is the way to go, but honestly, for what I am doing, it isn't the best option.

Let me know about the keywords.

Thanks to you all!

Cheers,

Wordman
                  • 6. Re: Forms
                    Level 7
                    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:17:01 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"

> Your mention of a lack of indexing is a valid point, so I respectfully ask if
                    >I can do it with keywords instead?

Keywords have been so badly abused in the past that they completely
                    worthless now. The only thing search engines bother to index is the
                    actual text in the site. Since you have almost none, you will not be
                    found in search results.
                    • 7. Re: Forms
                      Wordman-GL Level 1
                      Gary,

Understood. As mentioned, this was the fastest way to get things going. I'll implement text in the next version of the site. In the meantime I will be adding a news section which will be text. That ought to help in the interim.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers,

Wordman
                      • 8. Re: Forms
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 04:50:39 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"

> Understood. As mentioned, this was the fastest way to get things going. I'll
                        >implement text in the next version of the site. In the meantime I will be
                        >adding a news section which will be text. That ought to help in the interim.

Good luck!

> Thanks for all of your help.

You're welcome.
                        • 9. Re: Forms
                          Wordman-GL Level 1
                          Gary,

One thought came to mind. On sites that are built in part, or completely in flash, such as Chanel's website, I am assuming the lack of text, thus no browser indexing is still in effect. Is this true? If so, does a site such as Chanel's (or any of the others based on Flash) depend on search engine placement instead?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Wordman
                          • 10. Re: Forms
                            Level 7
                            On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:11:50 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"

> One thought came to mind. On sites that are built in part, or completely in
                            >flash, such as Chanel's website, I am assuming the lack of text, thus no
                            >browser indexing is still in effect. Is this true? If so, does a site such as
                            >Chanel's (or any of the others based on Flash) depend on search engine
                            >placement instead?

No, they don't really depend on search engine placement. They depend
                            more on other advertising instead, although they can gain some measure
                            of search engine visibility by purchasing adwords.
                            • 11. Re: Forms
                              Wordman-GL Level 1
                              Gary,

Thanks again. I hate to do this to you, but...adwords?

Cheers,

Wordman
                              • 12. Re: Forms
                                Level 7
                                On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:36:59 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"

>Gary,
                                >
                                >Thanks again. I hate to do this to you, but...adwords?
                                >
                                >Cheers,
                                >
                                >Wordman

http://adwords.google.com/select/Login
                                --

~Malcolm N....
                                ~
                                • 13. Re: Forms
                                  Level 7
                                  On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:36:59 +0000 (UTC), "Wordman-GL"

>Thanks again. I hate to do this to you, but...adwords?

See the link Malcolm posted.