7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 2:35 AM by lindsaykhorner

Starved aeselflinks?

Navarro Parker Level 3

I've been getting really atrocious multi processing performance on CS5. When rendering, AE CS5 is gobbling up 16GB of RAM and no more than 400% of processing, but all the aeselflinks are hovering around 100MB and 1-4%. I would say that are not contributing anything.

I also see the a new Adobe QT32 Server running in the background.

I have a Mac Pro Nehalem 8-Core, 24GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4. I've tried reserving 2~6 GB of RAM for other apps. I've reserved 2-6 CPUs for other apps. And I've tried 1~3GB per background renderer. And they all seem to have poor performance.

Why are the background engines not contributing? Are aeselflinks considered 'other applications' in 'RAM reserved for other applications'?  And is it normal for them to always be running even when I'm not rendering?

• 1. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you getting a message in the Info panel telling you that "Multiprocessing is off"? See this section for a list of things that block Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing from working.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Good to know! I'm getting an "Incompatible effect or expression".

Expressions? Which ones are MP unfriendly?

• 3. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Expressions? Which ones are MP unfriendly?

I don't know off the top of my head, but the general rule is the same as that for effects: If the calculation of one frame requires information from a previous frame, then it's much harder to distrbute the rendering to a bunch of processes that are each working on their own frame. It'n not the case that all temporal effects or expressions are incompatible with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, but some are.

I'd check effects first. That's always what it is when I get this message.

• 4. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
                Navarro Parker Level 3

I found the culprit... Lens Blur!

BUT... it was only applied to a 10 frame adjustment layer at the very end of my comp. Even something like that turns off MP for my entire render?

EDIT: I removed Lens Blur. But while I'm no longer getting an error message, one of two things is happening:

1) The AE app is still doing all the rendering (≈425%). One or two BG processes are ≈45%, the rest are at ≈.5%.

2) The AE app beachballs indefinitely. The background processes hover ≈50%.

Side Question:  If I force quit a beachballed AE with background engines running, should I force quit them too before relaunching AE?

• 5. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Even something like that turns off MP for my entire render?

Yes.

> Side Question:  If I force quit a beachballed AE with background engines running, should I force quit them too before relaunching AE?

I suppose so. And you should also file a bug report so that the right folks can be aware of what's causing you to force quit.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
                    Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks for your help!

As it is now, MP in Mac AE CS5 is completely borked for me.

I can reliably render with it turned off, but it's so stinkin slow. I think this version is not quite ready for primetime (at least for me).  

I'm going to go back to ol' reliable AE CS4 until things gets worked out.

• 7. Re: Starved aeselflinks?
                      lindsaykhorner

If it's any consolation you're not alone with this problem, I have the same thing on my mac pro even with no plugins/expressions and ample RAM etc. Interestingly though, this doesn't happen on my macbook pro... strange.