7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 6:27 AM by MrTCraig

Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor

MrTCraig Level 1

I am having the hardest time figuring out how to use the camera profiles  generated with DNG Profile Editor in Camera Raw.

I am using Photoshop CS4 in Windows 7. I have generated the .dcp file  with DNG Profile Editor and saved it in the folder: Program  Files/Adobe/Photoshop CS4/Presets/Camera Profiles.

This is about as far as I've gotten. I have not been able use this  profile in ACR under the Camera Calibration Tab. I have been lead to  believe that is would show up automatically. I have not found any video  tutorials related to ACR and installing Camera Profiles. They all seem  to relate to Lightroom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

MrTCraig wrote:

I have generated the .dcp file  with DNG Profile Editor and saved it in the folder: Program  Files/Adobe/Photoshop CS4/Presets/Camera Profiles.

Uh...I think you need to install them in \ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles or User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

• 2. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
            MrTCraig Level 1

Thanks for the reply. However I was not able to find any of those file  paths. What I did find was: Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Camera Raw  5. I put the .dcp file there and still nothing.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
              Debra Gillilan Level 1

You must be using the Windows based operating system, XP or Vista or Windows 7 ? In that case, that folder is hidden for whatever reason that Microsoft decided, and you must enable viewing it by stting permissions to it, to be able to access its files. You would need to highlight that folder, program data, and then change its permissions. Once you do that, you can access those folders and place the profiles into the folder for Adobe to find there.

Debra

• 4. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

When you choose "Export Profile" from DNG Profile Editor, the dialog box should actually default to the correct location for saving the profile.

• 5. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
                  Hopsternew Level 1

If you would like to look or copy profiles manually (for example you have received a profile made by someone else; for Windows7 you should be able to see where the Profiles are stored by searching for *.dcp (meaning any file with the extension .dcp)

That will show you where the Adobe supplied profiles are located. You can copy your custom profiles to the sub-folder of your camera type in the Camera folder.The other folder you see is where the Adobe Standard profiles live.

If you cannot see the programdata folder (and that is the case by default) you can make all hidden files visible:

(this from Windows Help, just search for show hidden files)

Computer>Organize>Folder and search options>View. In Advanced settings check the radio button Show hidden files, folders, and drives and then OK

Now you should see the programdata folder visible under your system (C:) folder

I hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
                    MrTCraig Level 1

I also posted this same thing on the DNG forum and this is the answer that helped me:

"Here is what I do:
                    1. Open DNG Profile Editor
                    2. Open DNG file(s) with the checker picture
                    3. Set the four corner marks
                    4. Generate the profile
                    5. Select File -> Export
                    6. Generated dcp file gets saved in C:\Users\m\AppData\Roaming\

Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
                    7. Done"

The folder was hidden. To reveal it I went to: Control Panel > Folder  Options > Show Hidden Folders and Files (under the view tab) >  Under, "Hidden files and folders" select "Show hidden files, folders,  and drives."

After doing this I was able to follow the instructions stated above in  quotes and it finally worked.

Thanks for all of your help.

• 7. Re: Camera Calibration in ACR & DNG Profile Editor
                      MrTCraig Level 1

MadManChan2000 wrote:

When you choose "Export Profile" from DNG Profile Editor, the dialog box should actually default to the correct location for saving the profile.

It should but didn't. If it did I wouldn't have spent so much time  trying to figure it out.