7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 1:42 PM by WHLowe RSS

How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?

WHLowe

New to Photoshop 8 for Mac OSX. Image has a severely over cast sky. Essentially no pixels. Attempted to use smart brush or quick fix using info shown on Adobe TV. The blank sky area was selected properly but the color ( blue sky 1) failed to be added. These tools seem to work only when there are some pixels (color ) in the selected area. I did successfully use the quick fix feature on an image that had some pixels within the selected sky area. Having the capability to easily add blue sky to a severely overcast sky will be necessary to upgrade fron PSE6 to PSE6.

• 1. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
          Mark Sand Community Member

Here's a way to create your own sky. I have PSE2 but the steps should be the same in 8.

http://home.earthlink.net/~msand42/PSE/Create%20Sky/album/

• 2. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
            WHLowe Community Member

Hi Mark

Thanks for the quick response. The method that you outlined is similar to the approach that I have used in the past. Your link to the cloud images was a great plus. However, PSE 8 new feature marketing information seems to indicate that the individual steps that have been used in the past are now performed automatically. This can be an advantage when many images need similar corrections. In PSE8, it is alleged in the upgrade notes that adding a blue sky is accomplished automatically using essentially one step. Unless I am doing something wrong, the PSE8 method works when there are some sky pixels. As described in my above question, images were corrected when there was an overcast sky that had a faint  blue cast. However, when the sky was heavily overcast, essentially having no pixels, the tool did not work. Am I doing something wrong or is it a limitation of the software?

Bill

• 3. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
              Mark Sand Community Member

Bill,

Sorry, but I don't know anything about PSE8. Hopefully someone else can answer your question. You might want to open a new forum topic as more readers are likely to look at it. If you do that, you might refer to this topic in your description.

• 4. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
                hatstead MVP

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=11UFBmvtHqJ0ZzY7LCROfSFVqJeEm

PSEv.8 has the Smart Brush Tool. This allows you to "paint" over an area with preset colors, lighting, various effects. In the print screen you can see the "marching ants" around the sky, and the edge selection can be refined via the box at the top above the ruler. this tool is quite versatile, but not automatic.

• 5. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
                  WHLowe Community Member

Thanks for the info. As mentioned, I used the smart brush tool. I selected the blue sky tool option and observed the marching ants as you described. However, there was no modification of the selected overcast area. In fact, the selected area is shown as a layer but the overcast area remains "white". If I select the area of the image that is the subject, the smart brush does modify the color as demonstrated in the tutorial video. The issue is modifying a selected area that lacks any color pixels. Thus if the modification is to paint the selected area, it should not make any difference that the area is void of any color pixels. What am I doing wrong?

• 6. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
                    hatstead MVP

I am not an expert re this tool, having had occasion to use it just a couple of times.

• Be sure that in the tool's option bar, "inverse" is not checked if you want to work on the subject
                    • I did an experiment, opening up a new blank file, transparent. I could not lay down any color with the tool.
                    • The same obtains when you go to Enhance>adjust color>replace color. If the layer is all black or white (i.e.no color), then it will not work.

My take on this is that some pixels have to be present for functionality.

• 7. Re: How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?
                      WHLowe Community Member

Again thanks for the response. I was able to get the Smart Brush tool to work  by following the following steps. First let me describe the image. This image consists of a stone building with the sky severely overcast (blown out). After following the steps to add a blue sky using the Smart Brush, a layer was created labeled "Blue Skies 1" By turning off the background layer, the Blue Skies 1 layer showed that the Smart Brush had created a blue sky gradient. This indicated that the issue was that the new layer was not showing thru the background layer or should have switched with the background layer. The background layer was then converted to a regular layer. Next, the overcast sky area was selected again using the magic wand and then was cut from the image. Now the Blue skies 1 layer is visible. The last step was to turn off the grid in Preferences. These steps could have been easily replicated in the revised software release PSE8. Remember that that many of the new features in PSE8 incorporate the above steps. Again, I may be doing something wrong. The inverse box had not been checked.