9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 5:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Gain in Premiere 8

AlanKl2

I upgraded to PRE8.  Nothing happens when I right click a clip and select Audio Gain>Normalize. Stays at 0.0.   I can adjust it manually however.  Normalize worked when I was using PRE4.  I couldn't find anything in Gresitti's PRE8 colorguide.

• 1. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In version 8, Adobe neglected to turn on the Normalize button unfortunately. The only way to set the audio gain is to do it manually. Sorry.

It works in all other versions of the software.

• 2. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
            AlanKl2 Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I found Normalize very useful when importing different music and audio tracks as a simple way to equalize the volume.  Seems like an easy fix. Is Adobe going to include it on there next update?  Sorry I screwed up the spelling of your name.

• 3. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

We do not know, unless one of us is a beta-tester for PrE 9, and then they could not tell anything about it. Only time will tell.

Now, I am not a fan of Normalize, but then I use Adobe Audition for anything more than basic Audio work. Instead, I prefer to balance my Levels by hand (and ear), and then apply EQ and Compression, as is required.

Generally, Normalize can lead to Clipping, and must be used judicially. It will also boost the ambient noise Level across the board, and that is not what I usually want.

Just some personal observations, but until this thread, I did not realize that Adobe had omitted it from PrE 8, so I learned something new, and that is not all bad.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                AlanKl2 Level 1

Hunt:  I brought the avi file into Adobe Soundbooth to edit the sound.  I haven't used Soundbooth much.  It came with my Dell.  But it seems to be a very powerful sound editing program.  It has normalize and hard limiting functions and you can  select portion of the tracks as well to change db levels or the entire track.  Of course, you have to save when done to get the file back over to PRE8.  The Save has the video portion saving at 720x480.  My original avi clip is 1280 x 720.

Should I change the Save parameters to 1280 x 720 in Soundbooth to put back into PRE8?  Or should I split out the sound portion in PRE8 first before editing in Soundbooth?  If the latter, how do I line up the sound to the original video portion when I re-insert back into PRE8?

You may find this helpful to your own sound editing.  Soundbooth can Normalize and Hard limit to the whole track or you can select portions.  You watch the whole thing on it's display.  Pretty impressive.  From the Soundbooth instructions:

"After you edit audio and apply effects, maximize volume as a finishing touch. Soundbooth offers two techniques that raise volume to 0.3 dBFS, just below the digital maximum, ensuring optimal volume while avoiding clipping. Normalizing retains dynamic range by amplifying an entire file equally. Hard limiting reduces dynamic range by amplifying quieter sounds more than loud ones."

1. In the Editor panel, select the audio you want to adjust. (To select an entire file, triple-click.)
                2. At the bottom of the panel, click the Louder button once to normalize audio, or multiple times to apply hard limiting.

With each successive click of the button, Soundbooth increases overall volume by 3 dB. Hard limiting prevents clipping.

• 5. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Personally, I'd work with just the Audio in Soundbooth. Though it has improved over the years, it is still basically Audition Lite, and was created to have an Adobe audio-editing program available in the PrPro suites for the Mac. Audition was not ported for the Mac, and is just about to be released in an X-platform version, which will be, I think, Audition 4. I did beta testing in the original Soundbooth, but because I had Audition 2 at the time, and it interfaced perfectly with PrPro, I did not think much of SB. Originally, it did not have Multi-track editing, but that was added.

You have taught me something today - SB will Save the video portion of a file. I was unaware of that. When I saw it in beta, it was to just be a higher-level audio-editor, than the capabilities of PrPro, and would soon be designed to act, just as Audition did, with PrPro in the various suites, starting with CS3. There, just like in PrE, one did the video editing in PrPro, and just transported the Audio stream to it for editing. Back then, it did not even have the Video stream preview, that Audition did, but that has obviously been added. In Audition, that Video stream is just for reference, and is not involved in the actual editing of the material, which is WAV only.

In PrPro with Audition, here is my workflow:

Import/Capture my source footage into PrPro, and edit the Video portion. For every Clip, where I need to use Audition, I just Rt-click on it, and choose Edit in Audition. This does 3 things: replaces the Clip's Audio with a PCM/WAV (original is not touched and is still in the Project Panel, but the Instance on the Timeline is replaced), launches Audition, and then links to the newly created PCM/WAV and opens that linked file in Audition. Once editing is done, a simple Save, sends the changes back down that link to the Instance of the PCM/WAV on my PrPro Timeline. The one limitation of this is that one can only use the Edit in Audition on a Clip by Clip basis. If one wishes to do the full Timeline's Audio in Audition, one would first Export Audio-only to PCM/WAV and Open that in Audition. When done, one would Save, and then Import that WAV file into PrPro, where it would replace the original Audio Clips, by being placed onto another Audio Track, and the original Audio Muted, or similar. Obviously, you will not have a link to SB from PrE, as they were not part of any Adobe suite, and are standalone programs.

Were I using SB and PrE, I would do the latter: edit to completion, Export Audio-Only, Open that in SB and edit as necessary (using the Video-only Export if necessary as a reference), then Save for the Audio-only PCM/WAV. That would be Imported into PrE, where it would just be dragged to another Audio-track, where it would align, since it was created from all the Clips in the Timeline. I'd then Mute the original Audio. Some folk Delete the original, but I like to keep it on the Timeline, and just Mute it, in case I ever have to go back.

The normal workflow, unless one is doing music videos, and those usually do not use THAT much of the camera original's Audio footage, is to edit the visuals completely first, and then edit the Audio portion. That is the workflow that I use on most Projects. It is very similar, to my scoring of Projects in SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro, where I use a reference Export to view, and to hear the original, edited Audio, and then score the full Timeline for the music. Only that music is Exported and then Imported into PrPro for the equivalent of the Soundtrack in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks for the update on SB, as I had not seen it in years, and tested it as an adjunct to PrPro, and not as a stand alone. Unless I have a very compelling reason to do otherwise, I'd leave the Video stream out of the mix, and do all of that editing in PrE/PrPro.

• 6. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                    AlanKl2 Level 1

Thanks for the tip.  I opened the avi file into SB3.  Did my sound adjustments and then saved as an wav file only.  I then imported that wav file into PRE8 and it fell right where it should as you said along the original avi on a doifferrent audio track.   How do you Mute the original clip's sound portion?  I could split and delete it.  But I could use it to compare to the revised sound and like you said I may need it later.

• 7. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, I would use the Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer), and just check the Mute box, for the various original Audio Tracks.

Audio_Mixer_01.jpg

That picture is from PrE 4.0.

Hope this helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                        AlanKl2 Level 1

Yes that did it.  I see I can also adjust the levels in a clip as it plays along.

Actually I noticed that a while back but I forgot about it.  Thanks.

• 9. Re: Audio Gain in Premiere 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

You are correct. One little caveat though. When one uses Audio Mixer, they are setting Audio Track Keyframes, and NOT Clip Keyframes. The difference is that the adjustments that you make will be applied at the Audio Track level, and not to the Clips on that Audio Track. If you later change the Clips, those adjustments do not change. Any new Clip will have the same exact adjustments applied. I do this, when the Video and Audio editing is complete, and then add the adjustments to the whole Track. One thing that I have done is to set the Edit>Preferences to do fewer Audio Keyframes, to keep the Audio Track cleaner. The default adds too many, too frequently, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt