4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 7:14 AM by [Jongware]

[CS/CS2/CS3/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM

[Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It took a while for me to sink in: what's that strange list of libraries in the ESTK object viewer? "Core classes" is obvious, and so are "Photoshop CS4" and "Illustrator CS4" -- but we InDesigners find "InDesign CS4 (3.0)" up to "InDesign CS4 (6.0)"! Examining the data files finally gave me the answer: it's a mistake by Adobe, and the libraries ought to be called "InDesign CS (3.0)", "InDesign CS2 (4.0)", and "InDesign CS3 (5.0)".

So, just in case there are still people writing scripts for CS, CS2, or CS3, I had my OMV-to-CHM transformation go over each of these files, and (ta-taaa) created up-to-date CHM versions, containing all the latest tricks as seen in the CS5 version. These include: hierarchical view of all objects; user-friendly index for classes & enumerations; CHM index containing all functions and properties; and more, yes even more hyperlinks.

Downloadable from my site, from http://www.jongware.com/idjshelp.html (perhaps you are interested to know I also created CHM versions of Illustrator CS4 and CS5).

• 1. Re: [CS/CS2/CS3/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM
          Dave Saunders Level 4

I don't think it's a mistake.

"InDesign CS4 (3.0)"

means: this is the OM for InDesign 3.0 (i.e., InDesign CS) that is contained in InDesign CS4.

Just as:

"InDesign CS5 (4.0)"

means: this is the OM for InDesign 4.0 (i.e., InDesign CS2) that is contained in InDesign CS5.

One of course hopes that the InDesign CS OM looks exactly the same no matter its source, but it is possible that it reflects subtle differences of support by the different versions.

Dave

• 2. Re: [CS/CS2/CS3/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM

I don't think it's a mistake.

"InDesign CS4 (3.0)"

means: this is the OM for InDesign 3.0 (i.e., InDesign CS) that is contained in InDesign CS4.

Wait -- do you mean there might be a difference between "the OM for InDesign 4.0 (i.e., InDesign CS2) that is contained in InDesign CS4" and, say, "OM for InDesign 4.0 (i.e., InDesign CS2) that is contained in InDesign CS5" ?

Why on earth would anyone need that? I imagine it's not because even with versioning the 'older' scripts may not behave the same -- there must be dozens of mails about versioning not working ... I mean, if Adobe knows what causes older scripts to stop working (because, if I understand you correctly, they retroactively change it in the documentation for older versions), wouldn't it be yet easier to not cause those changes?

• 3. Re: [CS/CS2/CS3/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM
              Dave Saunders Level 4

Remembering that I'm just speculating here, it seems to me that if Adobe knows that when running a versioned script under say CS5 that it behaves differently than it would under the native CS4/CS3 or whatever, then they do us a favor by documenting that (albeit, they leave it to us to find the change when we run into it).

There are surely times when the effort to make versioning work properly outweighs the benefit. It's all part of the price of progress. Granted, in an ideal world versioning works perfectly, but in an ideal world scripts would never crash InDesign.

Dave

• 4. Re: [CS/CS2/CS3/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM

Okay, I think I agree -- it's most likely to do with versioning.

When I don't have anything else to do , I'll locate my original CS3 OMV file and do a diff with the ones supplied with CS4 and CS5.