9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 7:43 PM by andy4quarts

Popping and clicking in audio - PE7

andy4quarts Level 1

When I use a Canon XL1 (the first generation of the XL series) and capture the video into PE7 via firewire there is all kinds of pops & clicks in the audio. I have tried it on different computers and still get the same thing. It doesn't matter if I use the same camera to play back the recorded tape, or from a stand-alone DV deck, or even a different camera- it's still there. It even happens if I record live video right into PE7 with this Canon camera.

You can hear a sample of what it sounds like if you watch my video at this link. This is a pretty good example of what it sounds like.

It normally doesn't happen right away on the timeline. It sometimes fades in and out too. Someone told me that maybe the audio setting in PE7 might be defaulting to 48,000 and the setting on my firewire card in the computer might be defaulting to 44,100 (or visa-versa)? I couldn't find anyway to change that on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
          nealeh Level 5

How does the audio sound if you connect the camera direct to a TV for playback?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, I noticed in your video that you're using a clip on mike -- so the problem may not be in the camcorder. It could be a bad connection in the microphone, static or even a clothing rubbing against the microphone.

I also didn't really hear much of this noise in the video you linked to.

So I'm interested to hear your answer to Neale's question. Is the issue on the tape, in your computer or is it uniquely a problem with Premiere Elements (usually an indicator of an outdated audio driver).

• 3. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the Audio setting on the camera?

That camera has XLR inputs for mics. Did you use an XLR cable, or did you have a connector to convert from, say 1/8th inch to XLR?

Now, the ideal is to eliminate the clicks and pops, at the point that they are introduced, but this ARTICLE has some tips on eliminating Audio noise in Audition, or other programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                andy4quarts Level 1

The audio is fine when I connect the camera up to monitor. It isn't the lav mic that I was using as I have used that lav mic a dozedn times before and since then. The only time it happens is when I capture video from that camera via firewire into PE7. The lav mic is a Sony 55 head which has a balanced XLR cable plugged directly into the Canon; no adaptors inline which would take the audio signal down to unbalanced. Like I said, there no problems with the mic as use that mic all of the time. Plus, it'll do the same thing even if I use the on board camera mic, and capture that audio via firewire.

If you listen right when the woman starts speaking on the video you can CLEARLY hear the popping and clicking in the audio. Like I said in the earlier post, it comes and goes, which is why you don't hear it throughout the entire video. The way I have gotten around the problem is by running the audio/video through an analog to digital (firewire) convertor and then record it into PE7. No problems in the audio then because I am polaying it back analog. That is one step I would like to bypass as it degrades the video and audio signal.

I believe it might be a hardware/software setting someplace in PE7. Something isn't syncing up.

• 5. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                  nealeh Level 5

If you haven't already done so, go to your sound card manufacturer's web site and download/install the latest drivers. If possible try a different FireWire cable. If you have more than one FireWire input try different cable/input combinations. Pops and Clicks can also be caused from badly shielded externals - if you have other electronic devices close by unplug them.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Neale's suggestions, check that you also have nothing else plugged into the FW ports. Most MoBo FW connections feed to one single chip, even with multiple connectors. Many PCI/PCIe cards also have single chips, regardless of the number of connectors. For Capture, most cameras do far better, when nothing else is on that chip. Daisy-chaining FW devices is a no-no for Capture.

Also, in that linked article above, I mention Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. Though I thought of that as a "toy," when I got around to using it, I was amazed at how good, simple and powerful it was. That changed my mind about "toy" in a hurry, and I now often incorporate it into my Audition workflow.

One more thought would be to rip the Audio from the muxed, Captured AVI file, in an audio-editor like Audition, or the free Audacity, and then Save_As a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit and Import that. Does the distortion/noise still appear? If not, replace the muxed Audio stream with that file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                      andy4quarts Level 1

I've tried different firewire cables in the past, and I have made sure there are no electronic devices nearby (I understand the effect of poorly shielded cables can have on digital & analog signals). I have only one firewire port on each computer that I have tried. I have tried to re-encode the audio track in Audacity with no avail- still have the pops and clicks.

Are there hardware updates for that particular camera that anybody is aware of? Could it be that the camera is just too old?

• 8. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill and Neale. If your issue only occurs when you play the video on your computer, it's most likely an out of date sound card driver.

Try this: Go to Windows Update. If you have an XP machine click the Custom button. Otherwise, just look for non-critical updates. You are particularly interested in updates for your hardware.

If that doesn't do it, go to http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ and download the latest RealTek audio drivers. (Not all computers use them but most do.)

If what you're telling us about the problem only occuring when you play back the video on your computer and does not occur when  you play it directly from the camcorder to your TV, this will very likely fix it.

• 9. Re: Popping and clicking in audio - PE7
                          andy4quarts Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention before that I have updated sound card drivers. I also have all the latest Windows updates as well.