10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 8:21 AM by Bill Gehrke

How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have a two mono mike recording which I can seperate into two seperate audio timeline tracks one is now left track in a seperate timline and the other is right in the other timeline, how do I make each of these tracks then into psuedo stereo tracks?  Do I have to go to Soundbooth or is there a simple way in Premiere?

• 1. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

You can use the Audio Effect>Fill Left & Fill Right.

Were these 1-channel streams in the same Sequence, you could also mix them in a single 2-channel Track.

For your case, I think that Fill Left/Fill Right will do the trick easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One can also do the mixing in SB (think the new versions have Multi-track now), but Importing then Duplicating, and Panning the original and the Dupe, as required, then Exporting.

Still, this should not be necessary with Fill Left/Fill Right.

That kind of gives you 2.5 ways to do it. Let's try "easy," and work up from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Bill,

If I'm understanding correctly, you have two separate mono files, and you want them to fill both output channels of a stereo mix (please correct me if I'm misunderstanding). If that's that case, you don't have to do anything special: just create a sequence with two mono tracks (at least) that has a stereo master track. Drop one mono file into, say, Audio Track 1, and the other into Audio Track 2. Both mono files will be sent to both output channels as pseudo-stereo--no further steps needed. The Fill Left/Right effects aren't going to have any effect here (in fact, you won't even have them available as they're Stereo effects, and not available as Mono versions), since you're automatically filling both left and right.

If you like, you can then use the audio mixer to pan each track and specify which output channel they go into, and by how much.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Good point about the Fill Left/Fill Right, that I had not considered. Then it's on to method 2, which you outlined better than I did.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5

Well in the meantime I did indeed find that Fill Left and Right do not work,  So (before I saw Colin's solution) I clicked on Edit in SoundBooth an got a sub menu with the option of Render and Replace.  With nothing much to loose I did click on it and guess what?  It just automatically filled in the empty channels.  When Soundbooth then came up I just closed it and am very happy.

So my mono two mike recording is now two stereo channels.  I had a shotgun mike on the left channel and my Sennheiser wireless receiver/microphone on the right channel.  Now I can select best audio from either channel or even mix them.

Thanks to both of you.

• 6. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

As always, you are most welcome.

Thanks for reporting your exact steps and the result.

In the words of Eddie Lotter, "Happy Editing,"

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill G, tell me what I am missing and I'll use your method.  I have what I think you are describing, and I don't understand the need to do anything special, if you use channel mapping.

I record a lav on one channel, and a different wireless mic on the other.  When captured, I have a clip that PR would normally treat as a single stereo track.

BEFORE putting any clips on the timeline, select all clips and set channel mapping.  Set each channel to mono.  Now PR treats these as two mono tracks.  The output for each mono is the master track, which in my project is stereo.  I can change "volume" for each track in the mixer, etc.  but each channel is provided to the left and right  master output.

I didn't go back to sort out what you had, but if you had two stereo tracks, one each with a left and right channel only, I can see that you needed some other solution.

• 8. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5

Stan, where you selected the clips and set the channel mapping to mono is where I differed.  I imported the clip twice and eliminated the right channel on one clip and the left on the other clip.  I have to get educated on "master channel" as that is new to me as you can see I am primarily a hardware/benchmarking geek and lastly a video editor.

• 9. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I hear you.

I think the best workflow for this very common situation is to import once, set the channel mappings, create two new mono audio channels (placed before other audio channels for convenience - or I have created a custom preset for this purpose), and select the V1 and A1 tracks before adding clips to timeline.  Since the project is stereo, the master channel is stereo.  Each mono audio track by default goes to the master, becoming stereo.  As with any use of multiple audio tracks, you need to pay attention to the multiple tracks adding volume, but, if you have fairly consistent audio volume within each track, the audio mixer can be used to set each track up or down a bit for balance between the tracks.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: How do I deal with audio, seperate left and right and make each stereo--CS5

Stan Jones wrote:

.....if you have fairly consistent audio volume within each track, the audio mixer can be used to set each track up or down a bit for balance between the tracks.

Stan, I did have to adjust both alittle, but I also had to do an awful lot of cutting and disabling on the camera mounted mike to get rid of the background noise during usage of the wireless mike.  Very lousy room acoustics with all hard surfaces, lots of people and kids!