0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 1:19 PM by asherritt1

Workflow for creating Flex components in Flash CS5 needs work

asherritt1

Am I missing something? I thought things were supposed to be easier.

I'm creating an AIR application for a client with heavy embedded video.

I have chewed up days on trying to get stuff to work, mostly creating a graphics heavy component that I can use in the AIR (Flex) app.

Just clicking the magic "Convert Symbol to Flex Component" command won't do it if you have created your own .as class for the symbol, because it won't compile unless you extend the UIMovieClip class. Good luck trying to find it in the namespace.

After hours I found where to download the Flex Component Kit that contains the swc that gives you the UIMovieClip class.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1273 018#

Notice the title of the page:  Flex Component Kit Alpha for Flex 2.0.1

Shouldn't the need for this kit be ancient history? Shouldn't that swc be built in to the new SDK's and/or Flash Builder 4?

Make my living on Adobe products, and love them, but this is sloppy. No documentation. No walk-throughs. Have burned many hours that I can't charge the client for because it make me look incompetent.

Creating a Flex component in Flash with extended functionality SHOULD be a no brainer.