4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 12:26 PM by patrickderieg

Ignores editing of Premiere Pro imported Sequences

patrickderieg

I have just encountered a problem I haven't had before, and am losing my mind trying to find out what's causing this. When I import my Premiere Pro CS3 project file into After Effects CS3, it does a number of unexpected things that are a pain to get around. One, every video element of the sequence starts from the beginning of the source file, ignoring the fact that in most cases, the cut isn't until a few seconds in. Two, it makes everything but the sound appear twice on the timeline.

I've tried to find an explanation for this phenomenon all over the place. All I've been able to find out is that this shouldn't be happening. The only thing I know I'm doing differently is using proxy files in Premiere. Am I confusing the editing by switching back and forth between offline and online? Is it After Effects acting up because I'm lacking memory? Why isn't this happening to anyone else?

I'd greatly appreciate some advice! I'm a bit of an amateur, really.

• 1. Re: Ignores editing of Premiere Pro imported Sequences
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What sort of file format are you working with? Is it possible your footage is HDV footage?

• 2. Re: Ignores editing of Premiere Pro imported Sequences
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Provide some more details... Where do you trim the clips in PPRo? In the timeline or the project source? Do they have persistent timecodes? Is there any chance your clips have 4 channel audio?

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Ignores editing of Premiere Pro imported Sequences
              patrickderieg Level 1

The files I import over are raw HD files. I trim in the timeline for the most part, but not consistently. Timecode is completely persistent and there's no 4 channel audio.

What's weird is that it takes all the tracks, plays them for the right amount of time, but from the beginning of each source file and colors them brown. Then it takes what seems like an arbitrary select few where the edits are actually correct and they all get the color blue.

But because you asked, what difference does it make whether I trim in the timeline or the project source? I'm starting to think that might be the cause. So I'll go check and come back to thank you..

• 4. Re: Ignores editing of Premiere Pro imported Sequences
                patrickderieg Level 1

Hi! I got frustrated trying to figure out what was causing this, since it didn't seem to have anything to do with where I trimmed (timeline or source). And now I have it figured out. At least, now I know what it's doing, still not why.

All the shots I have appear in the AE timeline as the front layers. For some reason the original footage is replaced by AE sequences, that it must create when I import the premiere project file, which all start at the beginning of each source file. Which is weird. The length is correct, but I shout "Action" every two seconds. Which isn't exactly optimal.

And then further down in the layers it does give me some original footage, at first ticked invisible. These are the bits where the originally recorded sound is still attached. I've slowly been replacing that with what we recorded with an external device on scene, so the proper edited clips have been getting fewer and fewer.

Any idea why this should be happening? It really sucks.