7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2007 4:29 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility

ALLT73
      Is dreamweaver writing perfect code so that it intergrates perfectly with firefox? Are there any quirks?
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
          VVebbie Level 1
          > Are there any quirks?

Oh man, that's a good one!
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
            Level 7
            Dreamweaver "helps" you write html code. It does the best it can with what
            you give it, and it tries hard to write valid code for all browsers, but
            since all browsers have their own "quirks" it can't please everyone.

It's your job to validate your pages for each type of browser (not just
            Firefox) and make the html and css adjustments that will make your page work
            in all browsers. It's one of those kinds of things that need a hand made
            finishing touch.

There are TONS of quirks. You really need to be most concerned with
            Internet Explorer 6 and 7 for two reasons: One, it is the lease standards
            complient (although IE7 is mush better than 6) and two, because like it or
            not, the majority of users out there still use it. Then you need to make
            sure that your site also works perfectly in Firefox, Opera, Netscape and if
            you can, Safari.

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
              ALLT73 Level 1
              Is there any place you can go to look up the standards for each one? I mean, say I develop it, it looks great in one browser but is off a little in the other.... how do I know what needs to be tweaked so it looks the same in both browsers?
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
                Dooza (Steve) Level 2
                There are lots of kind people in this forum that has years of knowledge and experience that are willing to give it a crack.

One of the best books I have is by Eric Meyer, the CSS guru. My book is out of date now, no Firefox or IE7, but it had a list of every single CSS1 and CSS2 feature and told you whether it worked or not with each browser. He has many books and has written loads of articles about CSS, do a search and see what you think.

Steve
                • 5. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:31:19 +0000 (UTC), "ALLT73"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Is there any place you can go to look up the standards for each one? I mean,
                  >say I develop it, it looks great in one browser but is off a little in the
                  >other.... how do I know what needs to be tweaked so it looks the same in both
                  >browsers?

There's no real short cut - lots of reading and practise.

There are lots of tutorials online, but I find I can't read online for
                  very long and still much prefer books - I can read away from the
                  computer - take on the train / aeroplane etc.

My recommended library:

HTML,XHTML & CSS by Elizabeth Castro - very comprehensive, readable
                  and attractive book explains all - ( or most at least )

HTML Mastery - Semantics, Standards , and Styling by Paul Haine - an
                  excellent guide to how to really use html, including a comprehensive
                  guide to styling tables used for data.

CSS Mastery - Advance Web Standards Solutions - by Andy Budd - an
                  excellent companion to HTML Mastery - which really guides you into
                  using CSS correctly with valid code.

These two Mastery books compliment each other extremely well.

CSS - The Definitive Guide - by Eric Meyer - an excellent reference -
                  perhaps a little more difficult style to read - but clearly the author
                  is one of the top experts on CSS.

Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax and PHP by David Powers - another
                  excellent book, very readable style on how to produce good websites
                  with Dw. It is NOT like your typical guide to Dw - that just
                  regurgitates the help files - including the bits of Dw that should
                  have been binned - David guides you on best practice and the parts of
                  Dw to avoid, and there are quite a few !.

Dreamweaver the Missing Manual - a good overall reference to the whole
                  of Dw - but don't follow everything as it teaches you about the bad
                  bits such as frames - and nested templates.

--

~Malcolm N....
                  ~
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
                    Dooza (Steve) Level 2
                    Could David Powers write on called Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax and Classic ASP? That would be great for me :)
                    • 7. Re: Dreamweaver + Firefox compatibility
                      Level 7
                      Not a chance.... 8)

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      ==================
                      http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                      ==================

"Doooza" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:famaj2$kke$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Could David Powers write on called Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax and
                      > Classic ASP? That would be great for me :)