7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 8:27 AM by pcford

CS3 AE Installation Nightmare

pcford Level 1

I am at the end of my rope with Adobe products and Adobe's scripted and  outsourced "technical support." I have spent days in the last couple of  months trying to get Adobe software to run. Recently I waiting 1.5 hours on a  phone to have a guy in India tell me that I would have to go up a grade  in paid support to get the answer to my question!!!!

Ridiculous.

The problem now is my home computer...I had to have the C disc wiped  because I picked up a malware...while trying to download a DVD writing  utility to do what my computer at work would not do: write to DVD with  Encore. 

The problem now is that when I try start CS3 AE an error message  comes up saying that AE cannot load AERes1.dll I have searched for a  solution and the only one I can find is, that's right, wipe your C drive  and reinstall. 

Some details: 
      Running XP with latest updates Two gigs ram. Have the entire CS3  suite. GEForce 7800GT graphics card. Also have Dreamweaver CS3 and  Fireworks CS4.

When I try to reinstall AE, the computer asks me to reinstall  Fireworks CS4 which has not been uninstalled. I put the disc in and it  tells me to put the CS3 installation disc. I installed Quicktime before I  noticed the problem. I uninstalled Quicktime and attempted to install  AE. No luck. 

I have an important video to be done in less than two weeks. Can  anyone help...Adobe does not seem to care.

• 1. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll give the same answer here that I gave on the other forum where you asked this:

> Adobe does not seem to care. 

That's a pretty broad statement.

I'm Adobe, and I care.

Problems can occur when you install and activate an earlier version  (like CS3) after a later version (like CS4). You say that you "wiped"  your C drive, but there may still be some lingering traces of the  previous activations on your disk. That would potentially cause problems when you re-installed the Adobe software.

In order to really start from a clean state, you need to run the  "clean scripts".

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

Try uninstalling your Adobe software, running these utilities, and  then reinstalling. Re-install the CS3 software before reinstalling the  CS4 software.

Normally, I wouldn't jump straight to recommending uninstalling and  reinstalling, but it seems that you're in the process of rebuilding this  system after a "wipe" anyway.

Good luck. Let us know if you need any more help.

• 2. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Pat,

I saw on another forum that you had some success. Would you mind posting the resolution to this issue on this forum so that other people with a similar issue can benefit from it?

• 3. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ridiculous.

Adobe doesn't do anything different than other software companies - "free" support only ever extends to the latest version, for everything else you pay for support contracts/ service agreements/ whatever have you. This may not be convenient, but really, even some poor Indian guy cannot live the rest of his life from the money you paid for your CS3 version 3 years ago...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
                pcford Level 1

It's now 11:30pm. I started suggested above around 5. With time out to  make dinner I:
                1. Uninstalled Quicktime.
                2. Turned off Panda Antivirus
                3. Uninstalled CS3 Production; CS3 Dreamweaver; CS4 Fireworks
                4. Ran Adobe Clean Up utility both CS3 and CS4 versions
                5. Machine reported that it needed MS Clean Up Utility to complete  clean up operation.
                6. MS site says that their utility is no longer available to use  with 3rd parties. 
                7. Reinstalled CS3 Production.
                8. Started AE. Did a test animation. 

Don't know what solved the problem: AERes1.dll not loading. But it  is working now; I wanted to document this for others.

Thanks to those that took the time to write.

• 5. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
                  pcford Level 1

"Adobe doesn't do anything different than other software companies -  "free" support only ever extends to the latest version, for everything  else you pay for support contracts/ service agreements/ whatever have  you. This may not be convenient, but really, even some poor Indian guy  cannot live the rest of his life from the money you paid for your CS3  version 3 years ago..."

I am hardly the only one complaining about Adobe's lack of care for its customers. This is a trend which started a few years ago...Only a couple years ago it was possible to speak to a well-informed native English speaker on Adobe support.

Yes, there are other software companies that have outsourced their support functions to India. However, some technology companies still have knowledgable support staff that are understandable.

Finally, I am not expecting Adobe to necessarily support their products forever for free. I would ready, willing and able to pay to avoid spending weeks in front of a computer trying to figure out what is going on with a piece of software.

For many years, I have been a supporter of Adobe...my patience is wearing thin. And I am not the only one.

• 6. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    >  For many years, I have been a supporter of Adobe...my patience is wearing thin. And I am not the only one.

I hope that you see the fact that we responded immediately to you on a weekend on this forum to be a sign that we're trying.

• 7. Re: CS3 AE Installation Nightmare
                      pcford Level 1

"I hope that you see the fact that we responded immediately to you on a  weekend on this forum to be a sign that we're trying."

Yes. And I appreciate that. I would be better though if I were to be assured of calling a number, paying an amount of money if necessary and getting a knowledgable expert who speaks English well. Adobe used to do this.

When posting on a forum...one really does not have any expectation that one's question will be answered.

Finally...I should mention this to give some food for the spiders: My original problem was that CS3 AE was giving a message saying that AERes1.dll would not load.

There are a few examples of the same thing happening to others. I uninstalled Quicktime Player. I uninstalled all Adobe software and reinstalled CS3 Suite. I have not reinstalled my copy of Dreamweaver CS3 or Fireworks CS4.

Some others with the same problem have said it was the Quicktime Player causing the problem. Others have said the problem was solved with a reinstallation. Simply reinstalling the software over the original installation did not seem to work for me. It was necessary to completely uninstall CS3 Suite.

Or the solution may have been the Qucktime player uninstallation.