16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 7:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

John J. Anderson Level 1

I have both of these programs on my computer.  It seems like Adobe" Premier Elements 8" should be a more advanced program.  Do I need to keep both programs on my machine?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They're two very different programs, John -- althought they (along with a third program, the Elements Organizer) do work together and complement each other.

Premiere Elements is a video editor.

Photoshop Elements is a graphics and photo editor.

The Elements Organizer is file management software that includes tools for doing about thirty different projects, including making custom (perfectly legal) postage stamps, calendars, photo scrapbooks, etc.

I'd definitely keep them all three on my computer!

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
            John J. Anderson-W3eOdF

Steve,

I haven't gotten into Video yet; but, I will take your advice and keep the three programs on my computer.  I think for the time being, I will just remove the desk top shortcuts for the "Premier Elements" products, so I don't confuse myself.  I haven't thoroughly learned the "PhotoShop Elements" yet, so I guess I'd better concentrate on this program, before I move on to the "Premier" program.  I think the fact that both programs organized my photographs caused me some confusion.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

Meantime, if and when you're ready to learn them, I've got a series of books on each and on the whole suite of Elements programs. You can find them by doing a search on my name on Amazon.com or you can buy them from the Muvipix.com store.

I've also got free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements on Photoshop Elements on http://muvipix.com. To see them, just go to Muvipix and type "Basic Training" in the product search box.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                John J. Anderson Level 1

Steve,

I am saving your response.  I will probably contact you when I manage to get my iTunes straightened out.

I do vinyl record restoration and I have to stay in the .wav fomat, so I can transfer my files back and forth between my library and my "Diamond Cut" software. I did find out that "Diamond Cut" can handle .aif files;also, I did not realize that I could download/import my CD's to iTunes in the ".aif" format.  Now that my library is loaded with .wav files, I can't figure out how to convert them to .aif  (which is essentially the same as .wav, only .aif contains tagging features.

Thanks for your help,

John Anderson

Abingdon, MD 21009

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

As I say in the appendices of my books, the invaluable free software Audacity should be on everyone's computer. It's basic but powerful audio editing software -- and it can convert between most formats. You can find it here.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

The PCM/WAV format is as good as it gets. I would not deviate from that for critical restoration of either CD music or from vinyl..

Not sure about Diamond Cut, but many audio-editing software programs can rip from CD's (CDA format @ 44.1 16-bit), and can then Save_As WAV. If you are planning on gong to Video later on, I would do that Save_As as 48KHz 16-bit, just to save a bit of time and effort in your video-editing software. Otherwise the 44.1KHz 16-bit is the Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth of the CD.

The biggest problem with ripping in iTunes is that you will end up with MP3, or AIFF format, and both are compressed, with AIFF less so, but still compressed. These are OK for listening on an iPod, or similar, but not good candidates for any editing. For those, again the WAV is the best way to go.

Once you have the WAV, from either a CD, or from vinyl, then one can output to MP3, or AIFF for use on the mobile devices. That would be, in my workflow, a final delivery product. Just as the PCM/WAV would be, when going to video, after all the clean-up, re-mixing, etc.. That would be what I Imported into my video-editor, even if I also did an MP3, or AIFF, for my iPod.

If Diamond Cut does not allow for Export/Save_As MP3, or AIFF, there are many programs, that do. Magix has a couple, and I believe that even the free audio-editor, Audacity, will do that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                      John J. Anderson Level 1

Bill,

Sorry for being so late with my response.  I don't get much time on the computer during the Summer months.

I did not realize that iTunes did not rip in the actual .wav format; also, I was led to believe that .aif was a compressed format, but that it could be converted back to the actual .wav format.  This just goes to show how a person can "read things into" what they want to hear (especially technical stuff).  Now, I don't feel so bad that I deleted all of my Audio Library files.

There are several reasons I like to transfer files back to my restoration program for reprocessing: 1.  I can remove excess material from "Live" recordings; 2.  I can "fade-in/fade-out", when I add "search" spacing on continuous recordings; 3.  Even though Audio Restoration has been around for a while, these Restoration Programs are constantly being up-graded with amazing new features.  For instance, a friend gave me approximately 50 LP, old Jazz albums, in rather good condition.  I was able to do a lot of improvement as far as removing all of the "Scratch" and "Crackle" from the Vinyl; however, the 30-band equalizer allowed me to "bring out" instruments that were barely audible on the original recordings.  There was one area that I just could not do too much with, and that was the "sibilance" the some of the horn instruments created.  Now, my program has gone through several up-dates, and the latest one addresses this issue; it makes me feel that I should go back and re-do these restorations.

Do you happen to know of any programs that have the capability to add "Tags" to .wav files that would allow me to create an Audio Library using the actual .wav format; or, can you think of a "work-around" that might accomplish what I need to do?

Thanks for your response; also, thanks for making me more aware of my interpretation of material that I read!

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                        John J. Anderson Level 1

Steve,

I forgot, my "Diamond Cut" program does allow conversion to .aif; however, it's a little too time consuming for ripping CD's that I use just for building my Audio Library.  Oh!  I just remembered; .aif is no longer in my vocabulary.

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                          nealeh Level 5

iTunes can rip in several formats, including .wav. You can then use all the features of iTunes 'Info' to tag your .wav collection.

apple.png

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                            John J. Anderson Level 1

Neal,

I had iTunes working perfectly; however, something got screwed up, when numbers appeared at the beginning of the data in the “Name” column, and I could no longer sort by “Song Title”.  I don’t know what I did to cause this to happen, unless there was an automatic format change (which should have been unlikely) during back-up, and I must have done a “restoration” and things got screwed up.  I played with trying to get my iTunes straightened out for about two months; then, I got mad, and deleted all of my .wav files.  This was stupid, but I’ve done worse things than that before.

Incidentally, someone else (I think it was Steve) told me that iTunes does not rip in actual .wav format; and I don’t know how to verify that.  I’ll take a look at it again (I have the rest of my life to play with this; however, it’s starting to get boring).  It does seem logical that.aif will not restore to an actual .wav format.  I’m just doing all of this, just to keep my brain active; but, I’m thinking I’m starting to cause mass confusion!

I Like: “Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children”.  I’m same; it’s people like me that drive others insane!

John

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

As Neale indicates, I was wrong. Apparently current versions of iTunes will rip as WAV files.

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                                nealeh Level 5

John J. Anderson wrote:

It does seem logical that.aif will not restore to an actual .wav format.  I’m just doing all of this, just to keep my brain active; but, I’m thinking I’m starting to cause mass confusion!

What is not generally known is that the drivers for just about every sound card made are capable of recording what is being played. If you are a perfectionist with acute hearing you may notice very slight degradation, because you are taking your digital sound, converting it to analog for playback then recording it as uncompressed .wav. But hey, if it's your only chance to convert aiff to wav then go for it.

For Creative Labs X-Fi cards the feature is known as 'What U Hear'. On an old PC with onboard sound I think it was called 'Stereo mix' (a confusing name for a great feature).

sound1.png

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                                  John J. Anderson Level 1

Steve,

I admire you for your honesty!  It saved me much time, by not letting me go in the wrong direction.  I too, have always admitted when I made an error; this is a rather deep subject, and research can be very misleading.

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                                    John J. Anderson Level 1

Neal,

I am far from being a perfectionest, even though I try to be.  Many "Audiophiles" hear things that I do not.

I just read the manual for my "Diamond Cut" restoration program (after I tried many other "avenues"); it looks like I can record CD's into my Music Library, using the .wav format; transfer back to my processing software; and send my "re-processed" file back to my "Music Library".  (I think) all of this can be done, while remaining in the .wav format; therefor, all of my processing should remain in the digital domain and I should not be introducing any  possible "artifacts" by switching formats, until my final "Play Back", which would convert from Digital to Analogue. Does this sound logical?

Incidentally, it seems I always use my "Product Manual" as a last resort.  I think my aforementioned analogy is logical; but, I am going to study my manual more thoroughly before I go any further.  It also looks like their new "DC Tune Library" will give me all of the Categories that I am interested in; and, it will also give me all of the "sortability" features that I have been looking for.  I knew that "Diamond Cut" had introduced their new Library feature; but, I thought I only had the following features: [Song Title][Artist][Genre].  From reading their new "DC 8 Live" upgrade, that I just recently purchased, has expanded their "DC Tune Library", to include all of the Categories that I would like to have.  If my elucidation is correct, I think I'm "home free".

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                                      nealeh Level 5

I'm pleased to hear you are "home free". Your audio workflow sounds fine to me. For copying directly from CD's the absolute best  program (I think, as do many others) is Exact Audio Copy. The reason it is so great is that:

From EAC Website:

Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for audio CDs using
                                      standard CD and DVD-ROM drives. The main differences between EAC and
                                      most other audio grabbers are :

• It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
                                      • It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly.
                                        If there are any errors that can’t be corrected, it will tell you on
                                        which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could
                                        easily control it with e.g. the media player

With other audio grabbers you usually need to listen to every grabbed
                                      wave because they only do jitter correction. Scratched CDs read on
                                      CD-ROM drives often produce distortions. But listening to every
                                      extracted audio track is a waste of time. Exact Audio Copy conquer these
                                      problems by making use of several technologies like multi-reading with
                                      verify and AccurateRip.

The last feature (AccurateRip) pretty much guarantees an error free copy.

From accurateRip website:

AccurateRip™ furthers Audio CD ripping by verifying ripped tracks against an Internet database, making sure they are error free.

AccurateRip™ is the only Audio CD ripping technology which can verify extracted audio files are 100% free from errors, or put another way...no CD/DVD drive exists today which is able to self detect errors 100% of the time (in PCs or CD players), we call this the audio CD error detection hole (and applies to drives with c2 reporting abilities). [details about this hole can be found in the secure ripping guide].

AccurateRip™ is the premier technology for audio extraction, we have a saying 'don't just rip Audio CDs, AccurateRip them'

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 8 versus Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I am not familiar with EAC, but it sounds like an excellent ripper. As I have Adobe Audition (plus a handful of other audio-editing programs), I just use that, and it rips to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit files, which Import and edit perfectly.

Though I seldom work from MP3, or AIFF files, when I must do so, I use iTunes (earlier version, which does not directly rip) and just burn a Playlist to a CD-Audio, which is then ripped in Audition.

If I have MP3's, or AIFF's from other sources, I just convert each to PCM/WAV (per above), and Import those WAV files into my editor. I have found that an NLE, or an authoring program, works best, when fed the file types that it wants. Deviating from that workflow can result in problems, and many users spend far too much time fighting that, rather than just initially converting.

Thank you for sharing,

Hunt