2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 6:03 PM by Rosanna1983

adobe reader 9.3 won't open pdf's

franman0204

Using XP Pro SP3

This just started a few days ago, but everytime I try to open a .pdf or adobe reader itself, I get the following message:

"Adobe Reader 9.3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

If I were to log off the user account and log in as admintrator adobe opens just fine.  All users have the read and execute permission.  The computer this is installed on is for the print center of my school, so we can't leave it open in administrator the whole time.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled reader, but this has not helped.  Are there any ideas to address this?

• 1. Re: adobe reader 9.3 won't open pdf's
          Rosanna1983

I am having the exact same problem. I have a Toshiba computer, Windows XP Professional 2002, service pack 3.

Everything about Adobe used to work - and after an update, nothing worked anymore, except: I can open a PDF through a window, but if it's attached to an email, or if the PDF is on the desktop, I get the exact same error message.

I've tried:

1. Un-installing and re-installing

2. Going into Control Panel and "fixing" the program in change/remove programs.

If I double click, or try to load Adobe Reader, I get the same message. I find this very frustrating!

Any further information would be much appreciated

• 2. Re: adobe reader 9.3 won't open pdf's
            Rosanna1983 Level 1

Hey - I have found the answer for you!!!

Solution: Change the Compatibility setting for  Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

1. Right-click the Adobe Reader or Acrobat shortcut on the  desktop and choose Properties.

2. In the Properties dialog box, select the Compatibility  tab.

3. Deselect Run This Computer In Compatibility Mode For [any  Windows version earlier than XP] and click OK.

As soon as I did this - my Reader began to work - I didn't even need to restart.