4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 5:19 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere not opening on Vista

Deep Woods Level 1

Installed Premier 8.0 and also installed update patch 8.0.1. When I attempt to open I get the welcome screen. When I click "New Project" message reads "Could not find any valid editing modes. Please reinstall and start again".

I did this but continue to get the same message. My computer specs are below. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

Deep Woods.

OS Name    Windows Vista™ Home Premium
      Version    6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
      System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
      System Model    M50SV
      System Type    X86-based PC
      Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 207, 14/01/2008
      SMBIOS Version    2.4
      Windows Directory    C:\Windows
      System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
      Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
      Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    3.00 GB
      Total Physical Memory    3.00 GB
      Available Physical Memory    1.84 GB
      Total Virtual Memory    6.19 GB
      Available Virtual Memory    5.05 GB
      Page File Space    3.29 GB
      Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

• 1. Re: Premiere not opening on Vista
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Double-check, by going to Windows Update manually, to ensure you have even the non-critical updates. (Many of these are important hardware updates.)

Also go to Apple.com and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime, which also plays an important role in all PC based video editing.

Also make sure you've got at least 30 gigabytes of free space on your hard drive and that it is freshly defragmented.

Beyond that, any information you can give us could be very valuable. What you've got going on here is very unusual so, if you've got something unusual going on (for instance, the computer was home-built, you're editing to an external drive -- stuff like that) be sure to let us know.

Meantime, go to C:/PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS 8/SETTINGS and ensure you have a sub-folder in there called EDITING MODES.

Also check the sub-folder in there called SEQUENCEPRESETS and make sure that it has NTSC and PAL folders full of files within it.

• 2. Re: Premiere not opening on Vista
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the specs. missing is your I/O sub-system, i..e your HDD's, their speed, size, amount of free space*, the controller type, and how you have them allocated. That can be very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Steve has asked about this specifically, and the rest of that info will be very useful.

• 3. Re: Premiere not opening on Vista
              Deep Woods Level 1

Hello Steve,

I followed your advice and ran into a snag. Please see your comments below and thanks in advance for your time.

There is one change. I no longer get an error message. I just get the Welcome Screen. After choosing "New Project" you can watch in the upper right corner as it trips through all the files as it goes through start-up, but then nothing happens. The welcome screen stays on, but nothing further happens. It doesn't freeze the computer. I am able to close the welcome screen.

DW

• 4. Re: Premiere not opening on Vista
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sometimes version 8's Welcome Screen doesn't take the first time and you must launch it twice to get the program to open.

But, if it's not opening at all, it could be a problem with your activation, per the FAQs to the right of the forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0