3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 1:55 AM by Studio North Films

New Build

VideoCrafters Level 1

I edit DV at the moment. Will probably upgrade to HD in about a year.

I built a new system about a year ago with help from Harm and others on this board.

That system is working well.

Here is the system I built then:

ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition/Core i7 Processor Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

3-4GB (2x2048MB) D/C Kit PN - OCZ3RPX1333EB4GK OCZ PC3-10666 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth

System: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

3 video drives  Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W

LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L LightScribe Support - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Business

ASUS ENGTX260 MATRIX/HTDI/896MD3 GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler $79.99

OK, now I want to build a second system for CS5. I know I need some version of Windows 7?

The only problem with the previous build is that cooler was so big I had to remove the biggest fan in the case.

Also I realize I should upgrade my graphics card to take advantage of Mercury. What should I get?

Last thing is that I would like to view my edit as I am editing on a TV monitor not a computer monitor... probably HD so I will be ready for my future upgrade. Is there a way to do that?

I would appreciate any thoughts...

• 1. Re: New Build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Today I would go for a rather similar system with these changes:

i7-930 CPU

12 GB RAM

Noctia NH-D14 CPU cooler (even bigger)

NVidia GTX-470 or 480

The rest of your components are up-to-date, no need to change anything.

Just make sure that you get a big tower so the cooler fits in. Take a look at what Baz (Studio North) and Rowby recently built.

• 2. Re: New Build
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mickey, are you planning on any overclocking in this new system?  If you are not or only slightly then I can recommend another cooler that I am very pleased with and it is the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.  I added the optional second fan to it for push-pull operation.  Very quite. I am running an i7-980X overclocked to 4.0 GHz and with 100% CPU usage I never see over 70 degrees C.  And the significant advantage is the you could even use and change out tall memory modules without removing the fans as can be seen in the picture below (I am bench testing here--it is not yet in a case).  It is not as big as the Noctua, but also not as expensive and unless you are pushing to the ultimate limits, I believe a great solution.  They have developed a new cooling method with their direct contact heat pipes.

• 3. Re: New Build
              Studio North Films Level 3

Once your setup goes into a case, it will soon start to get hot inside, especially with the heat the gtx ouputs.