5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 3:48 PM by Tara Jane Feener

Problem with Custom Components

TimothyWhalin Level 1

Yet another problem encoutered while creating a flash catalyst interface piece in my website.

I am creating a world map where clicking on the different continents will change the page state and have a zoomed in version of that continent. Within each section will be a custom component and buttons on different locations of the map which change the states of the custom component. Within the custom component is a text box that has the name of the country and a scroll panel with the text.

The problem is that I created the custom component, duplicated it 7 times for the different areas (so I have 7 different custom components) and then started editing one of the states. However, editing any content within the text boxes changes it both within all the different states of that specific custom component, AND it also changes it within all the different instances of the custom component, that I duplicated before.

I need the text to be different in each different state and can't seem to get it to work properly. Do I need to some how recreate the custom component and do it correctly or what can I do? Custom components are within the limitation of 20 page states as well.

I am trying to replicate our current map that was created in Flash: http://www.worldchallenge.org/en/missions

It would be easier to add sections and update in Flash Catalyst, if I can get it to work.

• 1. Re: Problem with Custom Components
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Timothy,

I'm trying to understand how your project is set up.

Is it something you can deploy on acrobat.com so that I can take a look at it and help?

Thanks,

Tara

• 2. Re: Problem with Custom Components
            TimothyWhalin Level 1

Hi Tara,

I send you a private message with the link to the flash catalyst file. Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Problem with Custom Components
              Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Timothy,

The easiest way to achieve what you're looking for, is to convert the scroll panel to a custom component (it might be already, I can't remember if it was when I got the project or if I converted it), and to create enough states for each city.

You will have to duplicate the scroll panel, and place a new one in each state, such that there is a scroll panel for each city you'd like to have text for.

Then you'll have to edit the text of each scroll panel to contain the content you'd like for each city.

Unfortunately, since the text is buried in the scrolling content part of the scroll panel, and the scrolling content is not stateful, it's not possible to have one scrolling content component, with one text area, whose text changes in each state.

Does this solution make sense?

Let me know if it works for you, and keep posting feedback.

Thanks,

Tara

• 4. Re: Problem with Custom Components
                TimothyWhalin Level 1

So it will be a

Custom Component

Text Field with the name of each country

Scroll Panel

Scroll Bar

Custom Component

Text field

Can you send me the file you were playing with back so I can see how you had to do it to set it up? Will it work changing a custom component inside of the custom component? Not sure if it will work how I need it to or not...

• 5. Re: Problem with Custom Components
                  Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Sure no problem!

Just sent a PM requesting an email address for share.

Thanks!

Tara