1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 4:02 PM by Rick Gerard

Replacing a old file with an updated one

csc309

I am new to after effects but I think I saw how to do this somewhere......  After importing and using an illustrator file in an animation I needed to chage some elements in the file. Isn't there a way to import this updated file and replace the old file.

When you replace the old file with the new does the new file retain all of the animations and effects applied to the previous file?

Or does this option not even exist?

Also Does it make a difference if you imported the file as a composition vs. footage?

thanks.

• 1. Re: Replacing a old file with an updated one
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are several ways to do this:

1. Close AE, edit your .ai file without adding any new layers then re-open AE
          2. Select the .ai file in the Project panel and choose Edit Original from the menu
          3. Edit your .ai file with AE still open then select the file in the Program Panel down to the layer you have changed and right click and choose reload file
          4. Finally, make an entirely new .ai file import as a comp then replace the layers in your comp by holding down the alt/option key and dragging to the previously selected layer in the timeline.

If you need more let me know.  I'll try and answer from  computer instead of my iPhone.