4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 6:53 PM by lwoods

Need to create a hole in an image

lwoods

I am creating a rectangular image that will be used for a header.  I want to "punch a hole" in the image so that I can scroll text, etc. behind the initial image, giving a window effect.  How do I "cut" a shape out of the rectangular image?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Need to create a hole in an image
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

There are a number f ways to do it. The easiest is with the rectangular marquee tool. Simple draw a rectangle over the image with it, and choose Edit > Cut. An interestng non distructive way is to draw a large rectangle over your image and another smaller one for the window. Shift > select both rectangles and click on the subtract/punch button on the Properties panel to create a blank rectangle with a window in it. Once youve done that, paste the image inside of it  [Cut the image to the clipboard, and then click on the window rectangle. Choose Edit > Paste inside].

• 2. Re: Need to create a hole in an image
            lwoods Level 1

Hi, Linda,

Thanks for your FAST response to my question.  What I am planning on doing

is to "flip" jpgs behind the "hole" in the rectangle.  I figured that I

would set the z-index high for the rectangle so that the jpqs stay under the

"hole."

Make sense?

Thanks

Larry

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may

contain information proprietary to Larry Woods, l.woods, inc., or one of its

subsidiaries, affiliates or web sites owned by l.woods, inc., and are

intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are

addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third

parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the

intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic

mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this

electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,

printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you

have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the

sender by return mail.

• 3. Re: Need to create a hole in an image
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

So are you planning to animate the JPEGs in Fireworks, or do the switching with JavaScript or the like in Dreamwave?

• 4. Re: Need to create a hole in an image
                lwoods Level 1

I'll do the switching using javascript.

Larry

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may

contain information proprietary to Larry Woods, l.woods, inc., or one of its

subsidiaries, affiliates or web sites owned by l.woods, inc., and are

intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are

addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third

parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the

intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic

mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this

electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,

printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you

have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the

sender by return mail.